View Single Post
Old 2 Feb 2017, 03:30 AM   #4
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Correct, IMAP IDLE is not used on iOS devices, or most mobile devices, largely because it's fairly power-hungry.

Other than iCloud (and possibly still Yahoo), FastMail is the only provider I'm aware of that provides iOS push support for IMAP (and ironically they offer a more full-feature push implementation than iCloud does).

However, as soromak points out, the iPhone does support Exchange ActiveSync, so any provider that offers that can technically do the job for you, but you'll want to make sure that it's a fully compatible ActiveSync implementation; ActiveSync is not IMAP — it's a Microsoft protocol designed to allow devices to work with Microsoft Exchange, and not all provides support all ActiveSync features. Even Google's "Google Sync" implementation of it has so many odd limitations that I found myself preferring to just use IMAP and lose push notifications. In other words, your mileage may vary depending on which provider you go with.

Some limitations are also unavoidable and just a function of Apple's implementation of the ActiveSync protocol itself. For example, the drafts folder doesn't synchronize back to the server, so any draft messages you create will only be stored locally on your iOS device.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote