View Single Post
Old 29 Nov 2021, 11:05 PM   #13
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
Thanks, Jeremy,

Your post has given me a lot to think of. You seem to understand what I want, and I will start by finding out what possibilities my email host one.com can provide.
Thank-you! Having read hadaso's reply, I think the method suggested there is a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
I currently use Thunderbird on my desktop and laptop, and I am very satisfied with the setup.
It's good that you know your way around it. I've never used it but lurk on various support mail-lists/forums for TB users and it's clear that many users have no idea what they're doing. That's especially a problem for people who don't understand what a mail server is, or what "local"/"offline"/"online" storage of mails might be nor how they've got their own version of TB set up. Add to that that eg gmail seems to do things in different ways from other IMAP services, and confusion reigns. For example a lot of users don't seem to understand that gmails 'ALL MAIL' "folder" is literally a view of alltheir mail, and spend ages trying to delete what they think is a duplicate set of their mails. As far as I can tell they not only don't understand gmail but they also don't understand that what TB shows them (might?) depend on how they've got TB set up.

I'm also a user only of paid email services, neither of them particularly cheap. About half my mail is processed through Fastmail, though there I (so far) only use generic addresses at some of their (many) domains. I also have a personal domain hosted by a company in London, more expensive than FM, and sometimes toy with moving it all to FM. But not having all my eggs in one basket is also useful.

I used to use a versatile email client, not well known, but unfortunately no longer supported, and as a consequence have been using FM's own webmail system, and at the other place, Roundcube webmail. In both cases I have hundreds of server-side filters defined.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote