View Single Post
Old 8 Jan 2017, 01:35 AM   #20
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

I agree that the classical interface still supports some capabilities absent from the current interface. It also, in some instances, allows common requirements to be accomplished more comfortably than the current interface.

That said, the current interface has some very positive aspects of its own. It is much cleaner and more modern looking. From a marketing perspective, that is critically important. I can tell you, from experience talking to my customers, that it is also important to many of the long time users. The fact that the message list updates automatically as new messages arrive in the mailbox (without the need to constantly refresh the folder(s)) is a huge benefit. I have customers who receive important email into several different folders(for different business units) and being able to see at a glance when there are new messages in a folder is almost an essential requirement. While compose has very rich functionality in classic, the simpler system in the current interface is more predictable in its behavior, and better at quickly producing good looking results.

The simple fact is that the classic interface is great (in general) for power users who are more concerned with functionality than aesthetics. That is not the key demographic Fastmail now wants to market to. While we might wish otherwise, Fastmail is not going to change its mind on this. I will be sorry to see the classic interface go, but fighting for its retention is certain to be a losing battle. I think it makes more sense to decide which functions in the classic interface are really important from a practical perspective, and using the next few months to lobby for their inclusion in the current interface.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote