View Single Post
Old 10 Jan 2005, 11:42 PM   #2
BKB
Cornerstone of the Community

Re: Secure access to FTP server

Quote:
Originally posted by FromNL
Hi,

I know that SSL isn't announced officially yet, so maybe I should wait for the details etc. ..... but can someone tell me if it's possible to access the FTP server over a secure connection (f.e. SSL)?.

I think it's useless to have a secure access to the mail server if you have to use an insecure connection for the FTP server. If a secure connection to the FTP server will not be possible then maybe a solution would be if I could use an other username/password combination strictly for the FTP server.

Took the words right out of my mouth. In the absense of a bookmark manager I've started using Bookmark Synchronizer for FireFox. It automatically syncs my bookmarks via FTP everytime I open my browser - very slick. However, this means sending my Runbox username/password over the network (sometimes public, wireless networks), in plain-text, which I'm not happy about. I was thinking about using my Fasmail Member account for this purpose, but Fastmail doesn't support FTP access or WebDAV (planned). So secure FTP access, or a Files specific username/password would be very useful.

Thanks.
BKB is offline   Reply With Quote