Thread: Spam protection
View Single Post
Old 19 Jul 2019, 07:18 AM   #16
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr David View Post
Use of my 'shop' folder is much looser. It has no subfolders. But whenever I provide email credentials to an online business I make a unique email address for that business. For example:
-- shop.retailer@mrdavid.fmdomain.dom
-- shop.another-retailer@mrdavid.fmdomain.dom

Messages to these addresses are automatically filed to my 'shop' folder.

If I gave all online retailers the subdomain address shop@mrdavid.fmdomain.dom, messages would also be filed to the 'shop' folder. But if a retailer website is compromised, I can't tell which site has gone bad. It is better to use a unique subdomain address.

To keep your inbox tidy you might do a similar thing for bills you regularly receive. Eg:
-- bills.powercompany@username.fmdomain.dom
-- bills.watercompany@username.fmdomain.dom
Just thought of something related to this, specifically, the sending identities. Just how are you handling them? You have to set them up don't you? While you can create *@mrdavid.fmdomain.dom and *@username.fmdomain.dom and only use these sending identities I find using these very inconvient in the way FM treats these in the compose From selection list (means you always have to remember to edit the part before the @) and be very careful trying to reply to these (doesn't use the From address in the reply-to so you have to edit it too). On the other hand you can create individual sending identities like you show above. So is that what you are doing (creating individual sending identities) or am I missing something here (like maybe they are used for receive-only addresses and you never intent to send to them)?

Last edited by xyzzy : 19 Jul 2019 at 07:44 AM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote