View Single Post
Old 19 Nov 2017, 01:45 PM   #1
camner
Cornerstone of the Community

Setup FM contacts on iPhone, many duplicates!

I set up FM contacts on my iPhone using the instructions at https://www.fastmail.com/help/clients/iphone.html.

What I see on the FM web interface is all of my iPhone contacts and iPhone groups, but with many duplicates. Many, but not all of the contacts on the iPhone show up twice in the FM interface, once with just minimal info (email address), and once with the full info from the iPhone contact.

On my iPhone, I see exactly the same duplicates, but I have a separate view of the iOS contacts (with groups) and the FM contacts (with groups), and of course I can turn off one whole set (FM) or the other (iOS).

I then deactivated the FM carddav account on my iPhone, went into the FM interface, and deleted all the FM contacts. Now no duplicates, of course. But after I reactivated the FM carddav account on my iPhone, there are still no FM contacts. Deleting the account and reestablishing it did not help.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong here! I know I can manually import the contacts into FM, but shouldn't it be possible to set up a carddav sync between the iOS contacts and have them "become" the contacts at FM?

Or am I misunderstanding something fundamental about how FM contacts work?
camner is offline   Reply With Quote