View Single Post
Old 29 Mar 2024, 10:46 PM   #9
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
My original plan was that whenever I start to get too much spam at some subdomain I can disable the related alias (in Fastmail) so I don't need any discard rules to do it, but actually in 20 years I never needed to do it. I have one subdomain blocked, but it's not really a subdmain I used for email (about 15 years ago I used me@slasdot.mydomain in my profile at Slashdot, and they posted it publicly as meNO@SPAMslashdot.mydomain, so after some years I started getting spam at various addresses like sales@spamslashdot.mydomain, info@spamslashdot.mydomain, admin@ etc., and after a few more years when that spam became boring I created the alias spamslashdot and blocked it).
Just seems so much simpler to use a DDG alias for anything nonimportant and then be able to disable the alias if it starts attracting too much spam. Unfortunately, I think any email address, no matter how little used, has the potential to become a spam magnet. All it takes is one site to be compromised and your "real" address is out there, which is why spam filtering is one of my top criteria when choosing an email provider. I find too that I often don't want to disable an address for a particular site because I still want to get legitimate emails from them, so I have to change the address anyway. Easy to change it to another DDG address.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote