Thread: Tutanota down
View Single Post
Old 19 Aug 2020, 12:09 AM   #46
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

I had said I was done posting in this thread (!), since I'm now done with Tutanota, but I just wanted to add that I agree with so many of the comments posted, especially TenFour's comments about customer service, and alexu2007's and evfrson's comments about trust. Thanks also for reminding me that I need to (re)configure my email/services with the ability to handle these kinds of situations much better -- for starters, I'll be looking for the best DNS providers and setting things up more robustly than I have done so far, etc.. I can pivot from providers, but not nearly as easily as alexu2007, for example.

As for evfrson's comment about thinking these kinds of small encrypted email providers might be honeypots, the thought has crossed my mind too, but I've tried to give them the benefit of the doubt once I look at their backstories to help evaluate how much trust I'm willing to give them. The old adage that trust should be earned has worked for me, but I think an extra dose of healthy skepticism is useful here too, especially reading between the lines of terms of service and privacy policies, and seeing their track record. While I don't believe that most of these small services are likely honeypots, I think there are plenty of other concerns between the lack of customer service, questionable performance during a crisis, and issues with their various policies, to force me to reevaluate how I'm using these services. This recent situation with Tutanota has made me think twice about how I'm doing things in general, and again, thanks for all your comments.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote