View Single Post
Old 3 Feb 2017, 01:59 PM   #64
tony17112acst

Well, I tried it and it still failed. Here's what I did:

(1) I left Godaddy as the name server for tonytonini.com and changed the MX record to mail.50webs.com (with a 10 min. TLL).
(2) Then I sent a test message to tonytonini.com from my Comcast webmail and got nothing.
(3) Then I sent a test message to tonytonini.com from my hotmail webmail account and received it OK.
(4) Here's the NSLOOKUP result after changing the MX record:
Quote:
Got answer:
HEADER:
opcode = QUERY, id = 3, rcode = NOERROR
header flags: response, want recursion, recursion avail.
questions = 1, answers = 1, authority records = 0, additional = 0
QUESTIONS:
tonytonini.com, type = MX, class = IN
ANSWERS:
-> tonytonini.com
MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.50webs.com
ttl = 600 (10 mins)
(5) Then I changed Godaddy's MX record back to Godaddy's original settings.

By the way I am using Windows, so the command you suggested worked beautifully; thanks for the very clear directions!! Setting the low TTL recommendation was a great one too!

I'm trying to think this through - Godaddy is where I purchased all 3 of my domains, which makes them the registrar and that's the only place I can tell where my web+email hosting is ...by entering the name of the name server for whatever hosting service I want, right? If I changed my name servers (via Godaddy) to point to 50webs for my email+web hosting and then made an MX record at 50Webs to point to Godaddy's email host only ...Comcast's SMTP would successfully send it to Godaddy's email because the only thing 50Webs did was store DNS records for where to point mail (MX) traffic ...right? So if Comcast isn't send email traffic to 50Webs, is it possible that the DNS traffic would fail too? ...or aren't there any checks on DNS traffic like email (spam/SPF/DKIM/DMARK/ETC) and everything is just passed through?

Last edited by tony17112acst : 3 Feb 2017 at 02:15 PM.
tony17112acst is offline   Reply With Quote