View Single Post
Old 28 Dec 2016, 10:41 PM   #2
jhollington
Essential Contributor

From what you describe, I can't see any reason why this shouldn't be working properly, so I'm probably missing something here in either your configuration or how you're doing things.

To be clear, when you say "I have FM options set so that any email that gets sent through the FM SMTP server has a copy put in the Sent folder." are you sure you've checked off the Save a copy when sending through 3rd party email clients?

If you're using multiple identities, you'll also need to make sure that you've enabled this option on all of the identities where you want this to happen — in particular whichever identify is the one you have configured in your iOS Mail settings.

You say you're using the FastMail app, so I assume that normally you send mail from your iDevices solely through the FastMail app, except when you're using things like built-in sharing tools, correct?

I'm guessing messages sent through the FastMail app are landing correctly in your "Sent" folder?

How have you configured your account in your Mail settings on iOS? There actually isn't a setting on the iOS side to not save messages in your Sent Items folder, so at that point I'm assuming that you're either not using an IMAP account or you've configured your "Sent Mailbox" to be a folder on your iPhone/iPad or your Trash folder (in which case you're still technically getting a duplicate — it's just ending up saved locally only or landing in your IMAP trash folder).

IMHO, the "easier" approach is probably just to NOT use the Save a copy when sending through 3rd party email clients setting and let IMAP do its thing from your iDevices and other IMAP clients. It will push the message into your "Sent Items" folder after sending, and the FastMail app on your iDevices will pretty much do the same when sending from there.

The only small downside is that your "Sent Items" folder doesn't provide a verification that your message was actually properly submitted via SMTP to FastMail (the IMAP save process is separate from the SMTP submission process), but I think that's a very small price to pay as the iOS Mail app should alert you if there's a problem on that end and just leave the message in your local "Outbox" folder until it can actually be sent.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote