View Single Post
Old 10 Nov 2018, 12:14 AM   #19
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
...Note that if you're only using the Fastmail web interface, I can't see any reason to even concern yourself with the folder learning features. These are primarily for users of IMAP clients like Apple Mail and Thunderbird where there's no direct button to report spam to Fastmail. If you're using the web interface, the very best way to report a spam message is to simply click "Report spam" and be done with it (and vice-versa with the "Not spam" button for messages that are not spam).
That’s a great post! The only thing I might add concerning the personal Bayes system is that you should also add some ham (non-spam) to your personal Bates database. Manually reporting false spam positives using the “Not spam” button (as described above) is critical, since you want to train the Bates database correctly when a message is improperly classified as spam. But you also need other good messages for the Bayes database. For example, you need at least 200 non-spam reported to initially enable the personal Bayes filter to be activated. So be sure that the Archive folder is set to train as non-spam. I also use some folders with filing rules which insure that only ham reach those folders.

The Bayes spam score is only one component of the spam score which is used to determine when to file messages into your Spam folder. It’s also possible for the address book whitelisting to be disabled if a message has been forwarded or for some other reason DMARC or other authentication measures fail. So it’s still possible for ham to appear in your Spam folder, especially if you reduce the threshold for the spam filter below the default value. So be sure check your spam folder for obvious ham before discarding messages from it.

Bill
n5bb is online now   Reply With Quote