View Single Post
Old 13 Dec 2018, 10:23 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

The thread title refers to the web interface (using a browser) and the screenshots posted were from a small mobile device browser. Note that there are several ways to access your Fastmail account (ignoring a conventional IMAP email client). I list these separately because the display on each of these is usually a bit different:
  1. Web browser on a PC
  2. Web browser on a large mobile device (such as an iPad)
  3. Web browser on a small mobile device (such as an iPhone)
  4. Fastmail app (free from the app store) on a large mobile device (such as an iPad)
  5. Fastmail app (free from the app store) on a small mobile device (such as an iPhone)
Here is what I believe is happening:
  • In mid-October 2018, Fastmail invited a limited number of mobile app users to participate in a beta version of the new JMAP interface. Note that this was initially a change to the backend and did not require a change to the mobile app or a special beta URL. It was a change to the settings at the server for certain invited beta testers only.
  • See a description of the JMAP user interface changes here:
    https://www.fastmail.com/help/guides...date-2018.html
  • A number of bugs were introduced and fixed in the 6 weeks after this beta release.
  • About a week ago (during the first week of December, I think) the beta phase ended and for beta testers the mobile app went back (temporarily) to the old interface. I was told that Fastmail plans to make a new version of the mobile app, and when you then update at the app store your mobile app will be using the new JMAP features.
  • On mobile devices using a web browser (#2 and #3 in my list above), users are being switched to the new JMAP user interface. I think this is being done as a phased release. I have seen the JMAP user interface for at least a week on my mobile devices when using a web browser. But others may not yet see the change.
  • On all other devices (#1, #4, and #5) I currently see the pre-JMAP interface with a few changes.
  • The rollout of the new JMAP user interface is being phased in across groups of users in steps. So we may see different displays for a while until everyone has been updated and the new app store Fastmail app is released.
  • I also like the new interface!
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote