View Single Post
Old 12 May 2011, 10:22 PM   #1
apl

Plus addressing vs Rules

Hi All,

I'm a bit confused over the way Fastmail handles inbound email when it comes to virtual aliases, plus addressing and rules.

At the moment I have an email address for my son as a virtual alias that uses a plus address syntax in the table to target a folder that contains his email:

myson@mydomain.com > me+Family.myson@mydomain.com

The +Family part is a top level folder and his folder 'myson' is contained within it.

It has been working just fine, any email for him turns up in his folder. Just recently my brother sent him an email, I have a rule for my brother that puts his email in a folder. The problem is that the email that my brother sent to my son ended up in my brother's folder and not my son's.

I'm assuming that the email is arriving in my son's folder via the virtual alias but the rule is then being applied which moves it into a different folder.

Is there any way around this? It happens with a similar setup where a form on another server sends the email using plus addressing, no virtual alias. There is a rule that checks whether the email address is in an address group and moves it to a folder. This is overriding the plus addressing so all the emails are turning up in the wrong folder.

Regards Alan
apl is offline   Reply With Quote