View Single Post
Old 21 Jul 2023, 07:46 AM   #1
RHH

Struggling with Fastmail

Hello. I'm a newbie here. Please be gentle.

I use and prefer Thunderbird as my email client. I have accounts in TB for email addresses I've set up with my ISP and with Gmail; however, I've been remarkably unsuccessful in adding accounts to TB for email addresses I set up in Fastmail, ie addresses with @fastmail.com as the domain.

Fastmail support has NOT been very helpful. Maybe I need to brush up on my Australian.

First, am I trying to do the impossible when I try to use Thunderbird as my email client for those email addresses? I have been unable to get a clear, unequivocal answer from Fastmail support. I received one response to a ticket saying that @fastmail.com email accounts CAN be set up in Thunderbird, but I have been unsuccessful despite multiple exchanges with Fastmail support in doing so.

I want to emphasize that I CAN and HAVE setup an account for the account name and email address that I set up with Fastmail after signing up for the trial period. I CANNOT, however, setup any of the other 5 email addresses I set up with Fastmail as a Thunderbird email account. I THINK this means that I have successfully set up the 'app Password' at Fastmail and that its password has been successfully validated.

The problem seems to revolve around passwords. I say this because when I go through the process of adding an account in Thunderbird the domain name verification step is successful. I proceed to choose POP3 instead of IMAP and use the suggested validation values for port and connection validation and click DONE. Thunderbird proceeds to display a flashing message that it is validating the password. I've used the same password that I used when setting up the one Fastmail account, and I've tried generating and using fresh passwords. No matter what password I use, I cannot setup the account.

I've inferred that the password used in Thunderbird must first be setup in Fastmail so that when sent from TB, Fastmail can find and validate it. I might be wrong in making this inference. If so, no one at Fastmail has been able to correct me. If not, ie, if I must set up the passwords at Fastmail before trying to add accounts to TB, no one at Fastmail has been able to tell me how to set them up or that my inference about the process is correct.

There is more, but I'll stop here to see if I'm making a mistake up to this point.

ADDED: I run Windows 10 (22H2) and Firefox 115.0.2 and I realize that Fastmail is a browser app.

TIA

Last edited by RHH : 21 Jul 2023 at 07:59 AM.
RHH is offline   Reply With Quote