View Single Post
Old 21 Jan 2022, 07:59 AM   #4
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
However, it is recommended to minimise custom sieve using the Rules interface as far as possible. This insulates you against rearrangement of the overall script's structure by Fastmail over time.
Heh, certainly not a philosophy I follow! I use Sieve to support additional functionality not supported by the UI, stuff to do what the rules UI doesn't support (or doesn't easily support) like complex pattern conditions, and IMO sometimes it's just plain easier to update and be more readable than a UI rule (e.g., when lists of matches are involved). Also put back desired functions that FM once supported but no longer supports (remember the "{SPAM xx.x}" prefix -- I liked that thing).

There's only three user edit sections. An "initialization" (for lack of a better term) section, the section before the UI rules code, and a "end" section following the UI rules code. There was a fourth section once upon a time (in the"old" UI) but they got rid of it I think because it's position never really did make much sense. Maybe FM will make changes to their standard script in the future. But unless they drop Sieve or the "language" radically changes I still see they will always leave a user edit section at the start, before and after the generated rules code. I'm willing to take my chances.

Last edited by xyzzy : 21 Jan 2022 at 08:08 AM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote