View Single Post
Old 21 Oct 2021, 10:16 PM   #5
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousGrouse View Post
I've started seeing this this evening too. I regularly send myself work-related messages, either from a work address (not FastMail) to one of my home (FastMail) addresses, or from one home address to the same home address, and I have them saved or routed into the same folder for admin purposes.

Suddenly half of my messages are showing as being from "me", the other half from "Myfirstname Mylastname". As far as I can tell anything originating from my own domain has been changed to "me", while anything from my employer's domain hasn't, even though that address is also saved in my address book profile.

It's made navigating folders, in particular that "work admin" folder, a bit of a nightmare. It's particularly hard on the eyes because of the choice to use all lowercase for "me" while my full name and other full names are properly capitalised. It looks horrible.

I've had a quick look through all the settings and I can't find anywhere to turn this feature off. Whoever thought of this really ought to have run it past a focus group or two because I can't believe I'm the only one bothered by this.

I wonder if this has been introduced as a way of dealing with the new on-demand Masked Email addresses? That would make some sense as you might not want your real name on the headers of throw-away addresses.

Whatever the reason, I'll give good money (or at least kudos) to anyone who can tell me how to turn the damned thing off.
If you have edited the Sending Identity in Fastmail for your home email to use the Name you want, and this is being ignored, my next steps would be
  • examine the full headers for the message to see if the unwanted content of the name field is being set that way when the message is created, or is being modified somehow in transit (which would cause other problems other than just a bad name field); and
  • if there is no clear explanation for the behaviour, contact support, explaining that the settings in your Sending Identity are being ignored.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote