View Single Post
Old 10 Jan 2017, 08:04 AM   #47
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

All my customers have now moved from Classic to the current interface. This is partly based on my advice because I expected the Classic interface to be disappearing. We still sometimes switch back to Classic to accomplish tasks that are difficult to achieve in the current interface. Overall, everyone has adapted to the current interface within a few days without too much trouble.

I still believe the older interface works better for a certain category of power users. However, the current interface mostly works better for those trying to get routine work done. Both classic and the current interface are fast, but (for routine work) the current interface has these advantages:
  • It is easy to see when new messages arrive in the mailbox without wasting time continually checking.
  • When composing new messages and replying to messages, the behavior is more predictable. It is easier and quicker to produce good looking results on a consistent basis.
  • The Undo feature is occasionally a lifesaver when rushing to complete work against a deadline
  • For some, conversations represent an easier way of working.
My major concern with loss of Classic is that some functions, not used incessantly but still needed, will become extremely difficult to achieve. In the past, I would have had other concerns. At one time, enabling JavaScript was fraught with security risks. Selective enabling no longer worries me. One argument I do not accept is the one that people are using an ancient browser on an ancient operating system that cannot be upgraded to support the current interface. Use of such systems on the open Internet is pure folly, because of the unpatched (and unpatchable) security holes. Second hand hardware able to run supported operating systems and browsers costs about US$50. Fastmail aside, people who want to use the Internet should not be running seriously vulnerable operating systems and browsers to do so.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote