View Single Post
Old 14 Mar 2018, 05:37 AM   #4
gecko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarkw2 View Post
Gecko -- Thanks for your input. Unfortunately I'm still confused about this privacy point: Suppose my objective is to send email to, and get replies from, an untrusted destination while preserving my privacy to the maximum extent. (Let's also admit that this is being done from Runbox Webmail.) What is the most straightforward way to do this?

The reply part seems clear enough, as I can set up an alias and specify that in the "From" drop-down. It also appears that I can set up a profile for some new folder that specifies the arbitrary address from which a message is to be sent. (I say apparently sent because there seems no way for Runbox to gain access to an unrelated SMTP server.) Perhaps you are trying to tell me that these two steps can be combined into one?

It is clear from the documentation that this "From" address must be verifiable. Since this address apparently also will appear in the "From" field of any message that I send, it inevitably reveals a valid email address that I own.) I guess I would have to set up a real but expendable email account somewhere from which to send such messages with some degree of privacy. Correct?

Am I I still missing something? -- jclarkw
Not sure I fully understand your question. What you can achieve with runbox is creating a arbitrary (call it "disposable") email alias "my-arbitrary-runbox-email-address-128975". Then you can send emails from my-arbitrary-runbox-email-address-128975(a)r.example to any other email address at any other email provider. The recipient of this email can reply to my-arbitrary-runbox-email-address-128975(a)r.example. The only thing that the recipient can learn about you is that you own an email address with runbox. I think this preserves your privacy quite well. And if you don't want to receive any further emails at this alias, you can simply delete it.

Regards,
gecko

Last edited by gecko : 14 Mar 2018 at 05:49 AM.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote