Thread: RSS -> Email?
View Single Post
Old 5 Oct 2006, 04:33 AM   #7
feklee

Smile Conclusion

I finally set up the program rss2email v2.60 in a user account on a server that's online 24/7. Some of my settings, taken from "rss2email.py":
Code:
DEFAULT_FROM = "events@rss2email.invalid"
HTML_MAIL = 0
FORCE_FROM = 0
TRUST_GUID = 1
DATE_HEADER = 0
DATE_HEADER_ORDER = ('modified', 'issued', 'created')
QP_REQUIRED = 0
VERBOSE = 0
USE_PUBLISHER_EMAIL = 0
SMTP_SEND = 0
BONUS_HEADER = '\nX-RSS-GROUP: events'
OVERRIDE_FROM = {}
FEED_TIMEOUT = 60
USE_CSS_STYLING = 0
PROXY=""
The program is executed once every hour by a cron job. In my Fastmail account, I set up a filter for filing the messages associated with the header "X-RSS-GROUP: events" into a folder called "Events". BTW, it's rather simple to separately install and configure several instances of rss2email. So, I may set up additional "RSS groups" in the future.

The above solution produces perfect results. Still, I'd have preferred a service that's administrated by someone else, but none of those that I investigated met my requirements:
  • Emails should be nicely formatted. For example with rssfwd.com the subject lines were broken when viewed with my email client, Wanderlust.
  • One RSS post should be translated into one email.
  • After subscribing to an RSS feed I want to receive *all* posts currently in the feed, not just those that are added after I subscribed.
Some links concerning RSS to email gateways:
The most promising service of those above is probably http://www.feedmailr.com/, an RSS to IMAP service. However, I wasn't able to try it out, due to the lack of an account (they didn't reply to my inquiry).

Then there are also RSS to NNTP gateways, which I briefly investigated.
feklee is offline   Reply With Quote