View Single Post
Old 11 Mar 2005, 05:27 AM   #198
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Resolute

one of the world's northernmost settlements, on Canada's Devon Island, just below the southern tip of Ellesmere Island, north of Baffin Island.
Resolute is Canada's second northernmost settlement, only Grise Fiord on Ellesmere Island's southern tip is further north. Alert, Eureka and Arctic Bay as well further north, but those are scientific or military posts rather than real towns.

Northernmost town in the world by the way is a title claimed by three towns: Grise Fiord (Canada), Siorapaluk (Greenland) and Ny Alesund (Svalbard, Norway).
According to Lonely Planet it would be Siorapaluk, in winter they have an average of -50 degrees Celsius, and no running water (they melt ice for water).

I know all of this because since I first looked at the globe at the age of 5, I have had a huge fascination for the Arctic. Today, 18 years later, the fascination is still as huge as back then. My big dream in life is to travel throughout the Arctic and settle down in either Tromso, Iceland or Greenland. Though if anyone has a job and place for me in Alaska or north Finland I'd be very happy as well
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote