View Single Post
Old 1 Dec 2021, 07:35 AM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
FWIW, looking back at my most recent ticket (bug in the iPhone FM app*) I reported it on 11/17, it was updated as "escalated" on the 18'th, and finally updated again on the 21'st stating bug was found and will be fixed on the next update of the app. Of course now it's the 30'th and the app has still not been updated but that may be because there was a workaround so there's really no real rush to update the app.

* Bug was you couldn't use Photos app to push a photo into the FM app as a draft attachment. Workaround was you could use the FM draft attach to pull a photo from the photos library.
I noticed that same bug but hadn’t reported it yet. It seems to be fixed in iOS (and iPadOS) version 3.3.2, which was pushed to my devices over the past 24-48 hours. I don’t remember seeing that bug until recently, so my guess is that this bug appeared when iOS/iPadOS v15 or v15.1 was pushed.

I worked as a field Application Engineer for Tektronix supporting electronic test instruments for 32 years before retiring two years ago. When I started in 1987, most instruments had no internal computer with operating system or even a microcontroller. We only had a couple of products with ran a version of the UNIX operating system. Now, of course, all significant products have at least a microcontroller and many use an internal Windows 10 PC. The reason I bring this up is that 30 years ago email was still being developed and voicemail wasn’t even in use. Sending a message from our Dallas office to the company headquarters in Beaverton Oregon was largely done using IOC (Inter-Office Communication) forms sent via the US Mail or air freight. So a customer would call into my office, leave a message for me (written down by my assistant using a paper “while you were out…” form), then when I returned I would call the customer (no voicemail then, so it might take several tries) and either discuss in detail the issue or (if they were within a one hour drive) I would make an appointment to see the problem in person. I would then write up an IOC with the issue and it would get mailed to our headquarters.

My point here is that support times are much better now than in the past for most organizations. But the people who can fully understand, verify, recommend fixes, and make the fixes are still limited for large operations. Critical issues (system down, emails delayed significantly, etc.) receive immediate attention, but those issues don’t require communication with an end user. I emphasize with those with support tickets which take days or weeks to resolve, but without a large and nightly trained support staff, improving response times to a few hours must be difficult. That’s why the Help online support document is important, and I agree that the Fastmail Help isn’t always as clear or complete as it should be. The best solution (which I believe that Fastmail is attempting to achieve in the long term) is for the user interface to be clear and allow users to discover solutions directly by themselves. But there will always be problems when things are broken.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote