View Single Post
Old 9 Nov 2018, 03:07 PM   #16
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
Actually, while your'e correct that messages are identified as spam at the point of delivery, it is the point of deletion at which spam messages are trained as spam (in terms of the Bayes database). This is to prevent false positives that would come from simply training based on the spam folder (although you can set your standard junk mail folder to train all messages that are in it as spam, this isn't the default setting, and in fact FastMail specifically recommends that you don't do this.
- - -
So unless you actually set your Junk Mail folder to be a source for learning spam, the Bayes database only gets updated when a message is specifically marked as spam or when it's deleted from this folder —*either manually or as part of an auto-purge rule.
Ok, now I'm a bit confused and need clarification. Folder settings have a Spam Learning and Auto-purge. So according to what you are saying Spam Learning should or should not be set to get my filters to learn what is spam in the spam folder (and again, when)? I would think you would want to set Auto-purge to clean all the stuff out after a specified time. Are my filters learning at purge time then too?

These settings are in all folders. But it looks like the Spam folder (and subfolders under it) are treated differently in that you can flag their contents as "not spam" while in all other folders you can flag stuff as spam and it will move to the spam folder. Training seems clearer for non-spam folders but can you define the exact effects of the Spam Learning and Auto-purge for both spam and non-spam folders?

It's the timing that's got me confused. The system spam filers flag stuff as spam and put it into the spam folder on the way in. So how does doing anything with my settings affect correct possible mistakes other than flagging the mistakes as not spam? The more I talk about this the more I am getting confused. Didn't think it was so complicated. It's all your fault!
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote