View Single Post
Old 11 Dec 2021, 05:19 PM   #14
steenkh

Thanks

I wanted to pop in and give you a feedback on this issue.

I set up nine (9) accounts in accordance with the scheme that hadaso suggested. It became nine accounts because I included the catch-all postmaster account in the scheme.

It works beautifully, and we have all the advantages of IMAP that I hoped for. Most importantly, when we have deleted spam on the iPad, it is gone also on the iPhone, and we do not have to check unread mails on both.

Because of the POP3 accounts on the laptop and desktop computer, we still have the setting of bcc to self, which is a little sad, but the POP3 accounts can’t see the IMAP Sent mail folder.

We are using Apple’s mailer on the iPhones and iPads although I am not happy with it, mostly because it is impossible to create rules to sort mails into different folders. I can make rules on the server side, but it is more tedious than doing it directly where I need it, and they are only able to make simple rules. I have looked around for other iOS mailers, but they all want to do fancy stuff like integration with social media, of which I have no interest.

I am very satisfied with Thunderbird on my Windows computers, but it is a hassle to keep two different TBs more or less synchronised. Some years ago I did an earnest attempt at scripting a synchronisation, but it did not survive the first version update of TB. Maybe I should ask around on a TB forum for that.

Thanks a lot for providing a solution to a question that had me vexed for years.
steenkh is offline   Reply With Quote