View Single Post
Old 15 Jul 2023, 07:41 PM   #14
chrisjj
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
Also, we don't know whether the search process looks at the dates within headers (ie in the exact character by character format they are in, possibly malformed) or whether it's looking at validated binary dates extracted from emails and stored in FM's indexes.
And even then, the UI doesn't actually state what the displayed message date is. The unlabelled date appearances on the message list and message top right often differ by one minute from the appearance labelled "Date:" in "Show details". And "Show details" can show two different versions: https://i.imgur.com/DRJh9KF.png . I'm hoping FM doesn't like Gmail mix between sent and received dates, but who knows?

[quote=JeremyNicoll;630135]The user interface is dumbed-down/vague to the point where whatever interpretation a user puts on something is going to be "normal everyday usage" so "after date" should mean what it would do in ordinary life.[quote=JeremyNicoll;630135]

I think that's unfair on "after:". There's nothing dumb about it's interface. Even smart writers/readers knows "After 2023" means after 2023. What's dumb is only the implementation - where "after:2023" includes all emails in 2023.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
Rather than just have a single unformatted field where a user can type something, I think the box that opens up when you choose "After" should be two boxes, with both date and time.
It is labelled Date. Not Date-time.

Anyway, note were discussing the after: operator, not the After control where I believe the issues are different.
chrisjj is offline   Reply With Quote