View Single Post
Old 26 Oct 2021, 07:53 AM   #75
donlibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrostarr View Post
I want to perform a more-detailed assessment of feature loss or gain when moving (my email services, at least) from Tuffmail to other email-service options (like Fastmail, Runbox, Rollernet, MXroute, my own email server, or others). I might be focusing on what I'm initially calling the "filters + forwarding + folders (fff)" feature set... which I can detail more later. I want to do this as much for me to _understand_ all the features I'm currently using in Tuffmail as to do the feature comparison between email-service options.
It's a laudable goal but I am skeptical it can be done in a way that would satisfy without a huge effort and a huge spreadsheet. While some items are simple ("How much space do you get at what price?"), many other items are subtle and difficult to compare.

Consider spam detection: Tuffmail had an eclectic set of features and options. I can't imagine how I'd match those up with other providers. And even for nominally similar spam-handling, it's tricky. For example, tuffmail and runbox (my new provider) both use SpamAssassin but they have chosen different SA rulesets! How are you possibly going to put this into a spreadsheet? The options both have for filtering is similarly hard to compare. And so on.
donlibes is offline   Reply With Quote