View Single Post
Old 10 Mar 2017, 06:22 AM   #316
chickadee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
I wonder if the FASTMAIL gurus have considered the possibility of continuing the CLASSIC interface with fewer "crossties" to its full-featured NEW interface.

They've already removed access to a few features in the CLASSIC interface (i.e. access to the Sieve Script) because it was too difficult to keep upgrading the CLASSIC when they added or tweaked features in the NEW interface. Perhaps they could keep an even more stripped down version of CLASSIC for those who like/need simple, low bandwidth, no javascript access to their mail.

Another email provider I know gives users a choice of three (commercial) interfaces: Horde v5, Horde v3, and RoundCube v1. Further, the Horde interfaces have multiple display options: Basic, Dynamic, SmartPhone/Tablet, Mobile, and NoJavaScript. It appears to me that each interface is accessing the email server via IMAP as if one were using a local computer's email client.

All the interfaces seem to operate in their own worlds; they all have access to your email folders, but there's no common Address Book or Calendar. You'll want to pick your interface before loading up those features with your data. Features that must be common amongst all interfaces, like your password, are accessed through a separate "User Control Panel."

FASTMAIL might even bring back a stripped down version of its OLD (original) HTML-only interface which used no graphics at all. Bandwidth-challenged users could use OLD or CLASSIC interfaces for their everyday email access, but if they needed one of the newer features (like updating one's Sieve Script) they would have to do it through a full-featured modern computer which could deal with Fastmail's bloated NEW interface.

Just a thought.
BritTim, you were a senior software engineer for many years, so I ask you, "How difficult would it be for FastMail to implement Jerry's suggestions?" I realize you haven't examined FastMail's code. Nevertheless, what is your best guess?
chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote