View Single Post
Old 4 Dec 2020, 05:58 PM   #9
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I am a text guy ... It's great not to have to fire up a word processor or some other application just to clean up a little text.
Why on earth would anyone ever consider starting a word-processor just to edit text?

(Of course I know the answer - it's because of how people are taught about Word etc at school.)

I quite often get emails from people which contain several paragraphs of text (albeit rich) in the body, and then an attached Word file with - say - a list of hymn tunes in it. I've /never/ understood why they don't realise that that could have just been the next paragraph in the body of the email..

The text editor I use starts instantly, but even if it didn't I usually have it open all the time anyway, partly because it's programmable and I have utiliies written in its script language that do stuff for me; I also have a Windows terminal window open all the time. Between those I have two places I can run things from.

One of the files open in the text editor is just a sort of scratch-pad of this & that - eg URLs of things I plan to look at more closely, or things I want to tell myself to do later in the day. In the event that the editor is not already open, an icon for that scratch-pad file, and also one for notes on system maintenance, are the only things I have in the toolbar Quick Launch area, so dead easy to find and click if I need either file in a hurry.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote