View Single Post
Old 7 Apr 2024, 03:42 PM   #4
nosim

If the service I look for is not available, then why not (try) do it myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I think it is harder than you think to provide adequate security and functionality.
That's what is holding me back. I've seen services pop up over the years, but they never say if they are IT buffs or like me just people filling a service they need and look for. The stories often say(id) so, but those are stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
@nosim: your offer is very limited. Do you really think there will be any takers?
That's what I wish to find out

I've been searching long and hard for a service allowing me to do simple, all email offline, POP3 only, reliably, for free, without the need to have another email or phone verification, not being big tech or in Europe. There are a few ideologically inspired (no pun here) services providing this, but who may ban you or close your access overnight. By limiting the service I would hope spammers and scammers and abusers would not be interested.

In setting those limits I wondered how may private (not business) emails do people really send per day? And if exceptionally the limit would be reached, is it bad for the email to remain queued until the next day?

Everyone's use case is different. As a frequent traveler connecting to so many less than secure networks and environments I made the choice to keep as little as possible online or on phone. You could argue IMAP can download and delete on download too, but what's the point in IMAP if it is to not keep it all online? Thunderbird for one is set up like that, you need to move the messages out of the inbox in an offline folder for them to get removed online.

So it is really about setting up a service I would use, and open it up to others. But what skill set do you need to do that properly?
nosim is offline   Reply With Quote