View Single Post
Old 20 Sep 2021, 10:13 PM   #18
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I'm a sailor and I will be using paper charts until I am gone. Sure, I use electronic charting too, but on a small boat there is always the possibility of losing all power and electronics are never reliable. Plus, with a paper chart you can see at once a large geographic area in great detail, but with a small electronic screen you are very limited in how much you can see at once unless you zoom so far out you have no detail. As to watches, I now wear cheapo plastic watches, particularly Casios, that keep near perfect time, are very durable, come in an infinite number of styles, and you don't cry when it gets destroyed. I notice that young people don't wear watches at all--just smartphones for time. As a consequence, I get asked the time a lot by people on the street who can see I wear a watch and don't have access to their phones for some reason.
Paper charts are like a good book, the electronic variety just doesn't cut it. Never thought about zooming in on a chart, I guess there is a limit on resolution or detail.

I quite wearing watches a long time ago. I use to keep a cheap digital with the non-buckle strap connected for easy grabbing in my pocket. I don't wear jewelry at all, aside from my wedding band. When I was active duty working on ship, that came off and was placed in my locker until I let the ship. There are to many things that can ruin your life on board a ship when wearing jewelty or anything that conducts electricity. These days it's my cell phone that keep the time for me and yes, a few wall clocks.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote