View Single Post
Old 19 Sep 2021, 10:12 PM   #14
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Going from private 'except for government interference' - to just handing over all the information about you for another company to data-mine in order to MAKE MONEY off your personal interests, private correspondence, location, web activity, personal interactions, personal connections, ---- literally ANYTHING that could possibly be known about you -- well -- that's just nuts.

NO Company has a right to EVERY detail about my life. Of course I use Google, however, I try very hard, to keep a firewall between various datasets. Google, for instance, has no right to any of my personal and private communication.

It's not about "Google sending anyone advertising" or "Seeing ads in Gmail" either --- It's about you, and your private communications, and then Google SELLING that information about you, your most intimate information, to any company, willing to buy. -- Google and advertisers are able to predict, with great accuracy, people who are sick with very specific diseases, people who are pregnant, people who have kids of certain ages, people who are.... you name it. There was a story about someone who started seeing ads for pregnancy, before they even knew they were pregnant. Unfortunately, that girl's father saw the pregnancy ads, and was wondering why his daughter was getting ads for pregnancy... well... you guessed it what happened next...

"Free" is never "free". If you've noticed, it costs about $50 per year, to provide email service. That's the going rate. Google, therefore, is estimated to make $50 per year, per user, in order to cover it's costs - associated with providing service to you --- it's 'product' --- and to hand you - the product - over to it's customers - ANY company choosing to purchase ads.

I'm sorry, that's not acceptable. All this has real world consequences. And with the tools they are given, advertisers can pretty much pinpoint you down to your exact address. This is DESPITE google's insistence that your information is 'randomized' -- its well documented that despite the 'advertising ID' that advertisers can find out exactly who you are and where you live.

I have email going back to the 90's in Fastmail. Search is brilliant. I can find anything I want in a manner of moments - and no one is datamining my life.

Last edited by ChinaLamb : 19 Sep 2021 at 10:22 PM.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote