View Single Post
Old 20 Jan 2005, 07:01 PM   #11
ezequielv

Re: Firefox great. Thunderbird not so hot.

Quote:
Originally posted by pode
I said I'd post back with how I got on. Here goes:

It's a bit off topic but I have to say that Firefox is wonderful. Over a dial-up connection pages display much faster. Basically this is because Firefox starts displaying the page as soon as it can, even if it hasn't really downloaded enough of it yet. So sometimes the page gets redrawn as you're using it, but that is not a problem. Whereas IE waits until it has sufficient information to get it right first time... which sounds good but means big delays in displaying pages built around tables (i.e. most of the pages I look at). So I've switched to Firefox and am unlikely to go back. Incidentally, Firefox works well with no-ads.pac and that speeds up browsing even more.

Thunderbird, on the other hand, has not impressed. It seems like it should be able to do what I was originally asking about -- simply use the Profile Manager to set different copies of Thunderbird to use the same Profile and Mail store settings.
Even though these things are not necessarily possible and/or 'safe' using OE

Quote:
But there are some basic things missing that I use in OE all the time. Like, for example, being able to set one of the columns to display the size of each e-mail (important when you're on dial-up).
I'm not sure about TB, but Mozilla *can*. You can have different settings (different columns) for each folder you have. All you have to do is click on the right hand side square icon in the list view. That brings up the list of available fields.

Quote:
Or being able to choose between multiple signatures for each e-mail account. Or being able to view and edit the HTML source of e-mails whilst composing them. Or being able to get it to send and receive e-mails and then hang-up automatically.
Are you sure you can do that in OE? (the editing of the HTML part).

For the signatures part, I agree. However, I'd be surprised if there are no "extensions" that allow you to do that. Have you checked the available extensions for TB?
ezequielv is offline   Reply With Quote