View Single Post
Old 18 Feb 2022, 01:36 AM   #1
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Old messages marked as spam

This afternoon, switched on the computer (2 screen display) and opened up Thunderbird on the side screen.

I was surfing the net on the main screen for a while, when I glanced at the side screen and saw, in bottom left corner of Thunderbird, something that said '2277 messages deleted'.

Now, I hadn't been deleting any messages today so of course was quite concerned! A quick check of the folders, and I discovered the e-mails had disappeared from the Fastmail Inbox!

I then logged into the webmail, and it was showing the same as Thunderbird - multiple e-mails gone from inbox!

I then did a search in webmail for all e-mails (in:*) and there they were - but they were marked as SPAM!

Sure enough, the missing e-mails were in the spam folder. I selected all the ones missing from the inbox (it tallied as 2277 messages) and then moved them back to the inbox.

Looking at some of the messages that had been marked as spam, they all had zero 'X-Spam-Scores'.

I've never known that happen to me before and was disconcerting - luckily I do weekly backups.

Any ideas on why this could have happened?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote