EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Update to Terms of Service (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=72969)

FredOnline 11 Sep 2017 03:12 PM

Update to Terms of Service
 
From the blog:

https://blog.fastmail.com/2017/09/11/tos-update/

BritTim 11 Sep 2017 04:56 PM

Thanks for the heads up. None of the changes appear to be substantive.

janusz 11 Sep 2017 11:47 PM

I'm no longer a FM customer, but my curiosity go the best of me and I read the new ToS. One clause caught my attention: FM reserves the right to terminate the account "if your account is inactive for an extended period of time".

That's a bit rich for paid accounts, isn't it?

Bamb0 12 Sep 2017 12:06 AM

Yes I would say so....If someone is paying them EVERY MONTH who cares how long they dont check it??

BritTim 12 Sep 2017 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janusz (Post 603827)
I'm no longer a FM customer, but my curiosity go the best of me and I read the new ToC. One clause caught my attention: FM reserves the right to terminate the account "if your account is inactive for an extended period of time".

That's a bit rich for paid accounts, isn't it?

As a practical matter, I cannot see FastMail deciding to say "please stop giving us money" in any practical situations. The old ToC encompassed this anyway, it was just not listed separately.

janusz 12 Sep 2017 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BritTim (Post 603830)
I cannot see FastMail deciding to say "please stop giving us money" in any practical situations.

The termination by inactivity clause is worse than "please stop giving us money". It means "you gave us money, now get lost".

Terry 12 Sep 2017 08:33 AM

That clause may be in there so that if you are doing something illegal in or with your account it can be closed.

n5bb 12 Sep 2017 08:46 AM

The inactivity clause is in the old TOS also. My guess it's there in case of pathological behavior by a few users.

Bill

TenFour 12 Sep 2017 09:28 AM

I would assume that sending in payments counts as "activity."

BritTim 12 Sep 2017 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry (Post 603832)
That clause may be in there so that if you are doing something illegal in or with your account it can be closed.

If the account is inactive, it is difficult to see what illegal activity might be going on associated with the account.

BritTim 12 Sep 2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenFour (Post 603834)
I would assume that sending in payments counts as "activity."

If the account is set up for automatic renewal, that is not necessarily the case. As I indicated above, though, I think it is academic unless FastMail decides it wants to withdraw a product (in our case the main FastMail service) altogether.

TenFour 12 Sep 2017 10:18 AM

Here's the actual clause. It appears to be rather open ended. In defense of FM, I strongly suspect that their terms are similar to many others, since these tend to be vetted by lawyers. Read some of the terms on some free services and you might be surprised what is there.

Quote:

FastMail may also terminate or suspend your account for inactivity, which is defined as failing to sign-in to the Service for an extended period of time, as reasonably determined by FastMail.

Terry 12 Sep 2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BritTim (Post 603835)
If the account is inactive, it is difficult to see what illegal activity might be going on associated with the account.

I did not mention an inactive account.

Bamb0 12 Sep 2017 05:54 PM

Quote:

FastMail may also terminate or suspend your account for inactivity, which is defined as failing to sign-in to the Service for an extended period of time, as reasonably determined by FastMail.
Who cares if someone WHO IS PAYING THEM doesnt log in for a year???

This is the most bizarre thing I have ever heard!!

Why do they care as long as they are getting $$$$$$$$$$??

:confused:

BritTim 12 Sep 2017 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry (Post 603838)
I did not mention an inactive account.

I am sorry if you think I was implying you were. Almost all the posts in this thread revolve around termination due to inactivity. I though you were continuing that discussion with the point that inactive accounts might need to be terminated if they were involved in illegal activity. Apparently, you were referring to a different part of the ToC, and I am sorry. To avoid confusion, if I might make a suggestion, it would be good to quote the clause you are commenting on in similar situations in the future.


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 12:33 AM.


Copyright EmailDiscussions.com 1998-2013. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy