EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Android App (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=74705)

SideshowBob 28 Oct 2019 12:12 AM

Android App

I usually use K9 on Android, but I recently tried the FM app on my tablet. At least superficially it looked the same as the website does when opened in chrome on the same device.

Is there any advantage to using the app?

FredOnline 28 Oct 2019 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideshowBob (Post 612026)

There is a disadvantage, as far as I'm personally concerned.

I don't want "access all areas" on my smartphone - having access not only to my e-mails, but my contacts, my files, my websites, my domains, and my calendar information, etc.

If one wants this access via their smartphone that's OK for them, but for myself, no thank you!

SideshowBob 28 Oct 2019 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredOnline (Post 612029)
There is a disadvantage, as far as I'm personally concerned.

I don't want "access all areas" on my smartphone - having access not only to my e-mails, but my contacts, my files, my websites, my domains, and my calendar information, etc.

If one wants this access via their smartphone that's OK for them, but for myself, no thank you!

That's about whether you should access those features from a phone at all, which is a different matter.

The question was about whether there's an advantage in using the app over using the website on the same device. If you use the website in Android Chrome, you presumably have the same privileges as you would on a desktop.

SideshowBob 12 Nov 2019 11:14 PM

Is there any significant difference at all?

gardenweed 16 Nov 2019 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideshowBob (Post 612127)
Is there any significant difference at all?

One difference is that the App will show notifications of new incoming emails.
Pretty sure that if you run only the mobile web interface in a web browser, email notifications aren't received in the background.

EricG 17 Nov 2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Can anyone list the actual permissions? No app has access to your websites/domains! Every mail app I've seen accesses your contacts for obvious reasons!

SideshowBob 23 Nov 2019 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricG (Post 612193)
Can anyone list the actual permissions? No app has access to your websites/domains! Every mail app I've seen accesses your contacts for obvious reasons!

I read it as access to those things as provided by Fastmail, so websites would be websites implemented in Fastmail file storage and so on.

gardenweed 23 Nov 2019 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideshowBob (Post 612239)
I read it as access to those things as provided by Fastmail, so websites would be websites implemented in Fastmail file storage and so on.

That's how I read FredOnline's comments also - that the FM phone app provides full access to all the areas of ones FM account - which for FredOnline, is not desirable.

tefe 18 Dec 2019 05:38 PM

It seems to me that using the application is much easier. The main thing is that it functions well.

guest2k 20 Dec 2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideshowBob (Post 612026)

Notification

pjroutledge 6 Jan 2020 10:28 AM

The big one for me (and the lack of which is the cause of my frustration with alternative email clients) is the ability to compose emails using the wildcard alias, effectively letting me create aliases (and sending identities) on the fly.

I'm keen to try any other client that provides this feature AND lets me use tags/categories with emails, if anybody has any suggestions.