EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Mail host recommendation please (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=78547)

Mister Steve 10 Mar 2021 05:05 AM

Mail host recommendation please

Hi All,

The many years of good times with my hosting + email provider (CPanel shared hosting) are coming to an end, and I'd appreciate a recommendation for a mail host.

Wants:
- Reliable service and delivery (IP reputation problems are addressed quickly)
- Privacy - no mail inspection/mining, etc. - encryption a plus
- Default address per domain
- Plenty of email aliases
- Several email accounts included (presently have 16, most with very little usage/storage)
- Multiple domain support

Usage patterns:
Storage: Present web+mail space used is 40mb. :) Not much mail is kept on the server.
Send/receive - standard human correspondence, people - no mass mailings or system generated mail.

Cost: Fair market rate.

I've found it difficult to get the above info on mail host sites, so many services are geared toward "users" instead of storage/accounts/bandwidth that I'm used to dealing with.

Thanks!

-

Berenburger 10 Mar 2021 06:52 AM

Fastmail.

jeffpan 10 Mar 2021 07:59 AM

Purelymail, MXroute, postale, tuffmail

Mister Steve 10 Mar 2021 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berenburger (Post 620284)

FastMail with 16 accounts x $5/month x 10 months when prepaid for a year = $800USD.
Please correct my math if I am wrong. That is more than 20 times what I am paying now.

pjroutledge 10 Mar 2021 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Steve (Post 620286)
FastMail with 16 accounts x $5/month x 10 months when prepaid for a year = $800USD.
Please correct my math if I am wrong. That is more than 20 times what I am paying now.

I don't think you would want or need 16 separate Fastmail accounts.
If the 16 accounts already exist (eg they're accounts with other email services) you can simply 'Fetch' them into your Fastmail inbox (or send them to other folders if that suits you). With Fastmail you can also continue to send emails from the existing accounts/email addresses. (This presumes that the existing accounts offer POP or IMAP and SMTP access.)
Main point is, you don't need separate Fastmail accounts to handle them.

So I think the calculation would be 1 account x $5/month x 10 months = $50.

FredOnline 10 Mar 2021 04:03 PM

Have you checked out LowEndTalk?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/categorie...hosting-offers

trussrod 10 Mar 2021 06:29 PM

Purelymail.com fits what you need

digp 10 Mar 2021 07:49 PM

https://myw.pt/

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussio...ifetime-offers

digp 10 Mar 2021 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Steve (Post 620286)

You could use aliases if separate mail boxes are not required.
However you will need the standard account for mail synch to telephone unless willing to use the FM app on the basic account.

Mister Steve 10 Mar 2021 11:40 PM

Thanks all for the recommendations. I will research all of the recommendations further. A couple of these are one-person shows, nothing wrong with that, the services seem compelling. I may try them using a test domain.

So-called "User" based services probably won't work for me as they do not fit my reality. I am one user but mostly use 3 accounts: 1 business, 1 personal, and 1 catch-all. These need different "from" addresses, storage accounts, signature/autoreply settings, retrieval schedules, etc. There are various workarounds with aliases, but with limitations. I do software development and I often need to create test accounts for various purposes.

StableHost has been our provider for many years, they've been awesome but have been recently sold, and mail service is suffering. Some of their network providers, INAP/SingleHop now have frequent IP reputation issues and they have been slow to address. My concern is the poor reputation of the providers is well deserved and hence mail routing issues will continue.

Reader 12 Mar 2021 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Steve (Post 620300)
Thanks all for the recommendations. I will research all of the recommendations further. A couple of these are one-person shows, nothing wrong with that, the services seem compelling. I may try them using a test domain.

So-called "User" based services probably won't work for me as they do not fit my reality. I am one user but mostly use 3 accounts: 1 business, 1 personal, and 1 catch-all. These need different "from" addresses, storage accounts, signature/autoreply settings, retrieval schedules, etc. There are various workarounds with aliases, but with limitations. I do software development and I often need to create test accounts for various purposes.

StableHost has been our provider for many years, they've been awesome but have been recently sold, and mail service is suffering. Some of their network providers, INAP/SingleHop now have frequent IP reputation issues and they have been slow to address. My concern is the poor reputation of the providers is well deserved and hence mail routing issues will continue.

You can also check out if migadu.com can fit your needs.

digp 12 Mar 2021 05:55 AM

memail.com premium?

Mister Steve 12 Mar 2021 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reader (Post 620326)
You can also check out if migadu.com can fit your needs.

Checked them out. I will not use an email provider that is going to monitor and make value judgements about the content of my mail, especially these days when activism often eclipses common sense. Sure, cut me off if I spam or if I use the service for illegal purposes. But their T&Cs essentially say that if I send or receive messages that do not meet their desires, they may terminate my service and refuse to even let me know why.

Quote:
Each account holder is solely responsible for all messages sent or received through our service. As a condition for using, you agree to not use Migadu services for any unlawful or prohibited activities. This includes any unethical or undesired activities by any party.

You also agree to be bound by these terms. We may at our sole discretion, terminate service without cause or notice. In a case of a severe violation of these terms we may refuse communication with violators as well ignore their appeals.

Please understand that we take a hard stand, but in practice we will try to keep you informed of everything that concerns your account. We will take aggressive actions only when absolutely necessary to protect ourselves, our property, other users as well third parties.

jarland 14 Mar 2021 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Steve (Post 620351)
Checked them out. I will not use an email provider that is going to monitor and make value judgements about the content of my mail, especially these days when activism often eclipses common sense. Sure, cut me off if I spam or if I use the service for illegal purposes. But their T&Cs essentially say that if I send or receive messages that do not meet their desires, they may terminate my service and refuse to even let me know why.

Quote:
Each account holder is solely responsible for all messages sent or received through our service. As a condition for using, you agree to not use Migadu services for any unlawful or prohibited activities. This includes any unethical or undesired activities by any party.

You also agree to be bound by these terms. We may at our sole discretion, terminate service without cause or notice. In a case of a severe violation of these terms we may refuse communication with violators as well ignore their appeals.

Please understand that we take a hard stand, but in practice we will try to keep you informed of everything that concerns your account. We will take aggressive actions only when absolutely necessary to protect ourselves, our property, other users as well third parties.

I don’t see anything non standard in their policy. Looks pretty normal and solid, that part you quoted. I can’t imagine anyone not having a policy that’s at least equivalent, even if worded differently.

Take my policy for example, it’s becoming a mess of forbidden use cases as I discover new ways to skate around the letter of the policy to disrupt service for neighbors, negatively impact IP reputation, etc. Bottom line is we all need open policies that acknowledge that you can’t know every damaging use case before you see it, nor can you allow it just because you couldn’t imagine it before someone executed it. Anyone not willing to terminate based on circumstances they can’t adequately define beforehand is then incapable of protecting you from IP reputation issues. It sucks but that’s the business.

I actually kind of like the wording of their policy as I read it, but maybe I skipped over something.

Cory 14 Mar 2021 02:33 AM

I would highly recommend MxRoute and Polarismail. I've used both for different projects and they are great companies.

MxRoute - more basic, similar to cPanel. But super powered for email.

Polarismail - more collaborative style program. Cheap alternative to Google / Outlook.