EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   No newsletters & no learning (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=72485)

noclue 10 Feb 2017 04:47 PM

No newsletters & no learning

I subscribe to several newsletters. I kept wondering where they were. I was receiving them before the last big FM change, but now I'm not. I have contacted each of the sources of these newsletters; the problem isn't on their end. I don't think it's Bitdefender, because newsletters I've received for over five years do keep coming; it's the newer ones (within the last nine months or so) that aren't making it.

Perhaps related? I have been working on teaching FM about what is spam and what is not Daily. I have never had problems with FM routing stuff to one of my three folders. Seamless. Until this last year. I report "not spam," and then "move to" for at least six items a day. And I have been "teaching" these same daily newsletters to FM for a year. Has something changed?

Berenburger 10 Feb 2017 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noclue (Post 599885)
I subscribe to several newsletters. I kept wondering where they were. I was receiving them before the last big FM change, but now I'm not. I have contacted each of the sources of these newsletters; the problem isn't on their end. I don't think it's Bitdefender, because newsletters I've received for over five years do keep coming; it's the newer ones (within the last nine months or so) that aren't making it.

First check: are they in your spam/junk/trash folder?

noclue 11 Feb 2017 03:22 AM

No. They are not even being received at all.

The older ones I do t go to spam, and every day I have to move them to the proper folder,

So there are two situations going on, both involving newsletters. When I talk to the various sources of these newsletters, they tell me they are getting a "no good" address notice.

noclue 17 Mar 2017 04:33 PM

Bump.

This is getting to be a big problem. I am trying to volunteer for several organizations which send me newsletters and instructions. They are all white listed. They are not going to spam. They never come. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks.

Terry 17 Mar 2017 05:27 PM

Go to settings, then spam protection, then tick basic.

Try it and see how you get on.

BritTim 17 Mar 2017 05:54 PM

This is almost certainly a DMARC policy issue. There have been several threads about the different manifestations of the issue. They all boil down to the fact that the email appears to come from the wrong server.

I would suggest contacting support with a couple of examples where this is biting you. Depending on the exact details, they may be able to circumvent the issue with some domain whitelisting. Alternatively (and if they say this it is probably true) they may tell you that the newsletter sites are incorrectly configured.

noclue 18 Mar 2017 04:36 AM

Thanks for the reply, Terry. My spam filter is already set on "basic," so that's not what's going wrong. Still mysterious!

Brit Tim: I phoned one of the organizations to see if they could tell me what they were seeing on their end. They told me that they were getting "bad address" notifications -- whatever that means.

How do I go about contacting support? I haven't done that before. Thanks for helping me out.

n5bb 18 Mar 2017 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noclue (Post 600660)
...I phoned one of the organizations to see if they could tell me what they were seeing on their end. They told me that they were getting "bad address" notifications -- whatever that means...

Without more details (such as the error code number) it's hard to say. It could be:
  • The newsletters may be using the wrong address. For example, they might be sending to a fastmail.com address while your account might be at the fastmail.fm domain. Or the username (part to the left of the @) might be in error.
  • The address might be malformed. For example, your address can't be "jane@doe@example.org".
Quote:

Originally Posted by noclue (Post 600660)
...How do I go about contacting support? I haven't done that before. Thanks for helping me out.

If you have a paid account (not a Guest or Member account) you just go to http://www.fastmail.com, click Support at the top, and then click the contact our support team link.

Bill

noclue 18 Mar 2017 05:04 AM

I know that's much info to go on, Bill. I have tried re-registering for these newsletters to make sure I've sent my address properly. That's all I know to do as far as the address is concerned.

The odd thing is that this is something recent. I am still getting old (and currently unnecessary) newsletters; it's the new ones I've signed up for that I'm not getting.
For example, I signed up for "EarthSky" about 10 years ago. I'm still getting it daily. I signed up for the volunteer organizations three months ago. I haven't received even one newsletter from the seven I agreed to help. Something changed?

Thanks for the link to the support team.

lane 19 Mar 2017 10:33 PM

This may be a long-shot, but is there anything special about your email address, such as a special character in it? As an example, Fastmail supports plus addressing, and a plus sign "+" is technically a valid character for the username part of an email address. Nevertheless, many web sites have a check for valid email addresses which will not allow a plus sign. Frustrating. The worst would be for a web site to accept it at one point, then later revise their software so that it neither works nor can it be changed.

There are also other special characters which technically can be part of a username but might be screened out by faulty software.

chickadee 19 Mar 2017 11:39 PM

Beginning about six weeks ago, noclue, I stopped receiving promotional emails from three supermarkets and another company. I had been getting those emails for "years." It's obvious that FastMail recently changed its spam-fighting algorithms.

Why didn't FastMail put the promotional emails in my Junk Mail folder? Why did it have to discard them? I believe that the change in FastMail's spam-fighting behavior is a "serious" mistake, and should be corrected ASAP.

n5bb 20 Mar 2017 05:31 AM

Just because you stop receiving periodic emails doesn't mean the reason is the receiving email system spam content filtering. Here are some possibilities:
  • The sending system isn't sending you the messages. You can contact the newsletter support department and ask if their systems show that emails sent to you were delivered or bounced. For some reason they may have removed you from the list.
  • The delivery address is incorrect. If it's an alias, be sure it is set up to deliver to your account. Try sending an email to that address and make sure it is immediately received.
  • The sending server is acting like a spammer during the SMTP connection process. Fastmail (and other quality email providers) performs checks to block most incoming connections from spammers. Here is a description of these checks:
    https://www.fastmail.com/help/technical/smtpchecks.html
  • As you can see in the link above, Fastmail uses the SpamHaus XBL to block incoming connections from known compromised sending IP's. Here is what this blocks:
    Quote:

The Spamhaus Exploits Block List (XBL) is a realtime database of IP addresses of hijacked PCs infected by illegal 3rd party exploits, including open proxies (HTTP, socks, AnalogX, wingate, etc), worms/viruses with built-in spam engines, and other types of trojan-horse exploits.
  • As also noted in the link above, Fastmail also uses a few RHSBL blocking lists, which block the identity (domain name) of email servers which attempt to connect to Fastmail.
  • The link above also describes other causes for blocking connecting servers. One common reason is many people marking such advertising messages as spam. If you file a Fastmail support request with full information about the newsletter sender (such as one email containing full headers which was received somewhere), Fastmail may be able to determine why delivery is failing. They may contact the support staff at the newsletter, for example.
  • If the message contains a suspicious attachment (virus or file with certain filename extensions such as .pif, .scr, .cpl, .com or a double-extension such as .txt.exe) the message may also be blocked at the SMTP stage.
  • All of the issues I have described so far block the message from being accepted at the SMTP (server connection) stage and the newsletter service should have server records showing this rejection.
  • If the message is accepted by Fastmail incoming servers and is not a virus, the message is transferred to the sieve rules filtering system. One additional issue is DMARC, which allows the sending domain to specify using SPF which servers are allowed to send for that domain and can add DKIM digital signatures to messages. If the message was forwarded it's possible that DMARC can fail, which might cause the message to be deleted. The sender (in this case the newsletter service) has control over which sending domain and their DMARC policy, so you should not automatically forward/redirect emails if you want delivery to be guaranteed.
  • You can choose how messages are filtered in the Settings>Spam Protection and Settings>Rules screens. If you make choices which do not discard any messages, then the newsletter should be in your account if it was accepted by the Fastmail incoming server. Of course, you might be automatically be filing certain incoming messages into a particular folder using rules or plus+addressing, so you might want to use the search feature to find the message. By default all folders are searched except Spam and Trash. You can search in either of those folders by opening the folder before performing the search.
Bill

noclue 20 Mar 2017 03:51 PM

lane & chickadee -- thank you. I am open to any suggestions! I am embarrassed to say how ridiculously easy my email address is. I have three, and they do not use any oddball characters. I got these Fastmail accounts back in the Stone Age.

I will be contacting support. I'll let you know what they said. I, too (as a long-time user of this service), have noticed certain changes. Things aren't as "tidy" as they used to be. A certain laxity that is really inconvenient. :rolleyes:

noclue 30 Mar 2017 03:31 PM

This was the reply from support:

"I am sorry for the inconveniences caused. To investigate the issue further could you please re-register with the email address: subscribeXXXXXXXXX((a)).fastmail.fm and let us know if you can receive the newsletters."

Does he mean to create a separate account entirely? A separate address just for newsletters?:confused:

Terry 30 Mar 2017 03:41 PM

I think they mean for you to use that address to be used for your news letters subscriptions.