EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Spoofing the From address (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=74048)

xyzzy 25 Nov 2018 08:56 AM

Spoofing the From address

Maybe I am having a "senior moment" but for some reason I cannot figure out a way to spoof the sender name and address in my FM webmail. I use a forwarding service to hide my real email address. In my FM identity you can set the reply-to address so that would be my forwarding service. But I can't figure out how to set the name and address you want to appear in the From: that a recipient will see.

Thunderbird has it's identity settings where you can set the name, From email address, and reply-to address you want to appear in the email you send for that account. I think most email clients have this. Even something as brain dead as yahoo webmail and I believe gmail has this ability too.

Aliases don't work since I can't specify my desired domain. I tried setting up an identity for the forwarding service email address but specifying the FM POP/SMTP servers. That ends up with undelivered failure error reports.

So is there no way to spoof the From (sender) info that a recipient will see?

------------------

Update a little later....

Never mind, got the additional send identity to work after all.:o:) Needed to set it's reply-to to the spoofed address and I accidentally had set "send using an external SMTP server" checked which obviously produced a loop and the resulting undelivered failure error reports. Not exactly the most obvious way (to me) to spoof but it appears to work in my brief testing at least. Fetch identity makes sense I guess when you stop to think about it.

ewal 29 Nov 2018 07:49 AM

But take care that by using a 'spoof'' address you do not trip over on DMARC and SPF records that your forwarding service may use.

xyzzy 29 Nov 2018 07:16 PM

Been using that service since the 90's. Never encountered any problems through all these years. It's why I never bothered getting my own domain. Too bad I didn't do it way back then though (mainly because I didn't know about such things). All the "good" names now are taken! :mad:

BritTim 29 Nov 2018 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xyzzy (Post 608391)
All the "good" names now are taken! :mad:

It is not easy to find a good .com domain. However, with the large and increasing number of tlds, it is possibly easier now than a few years ago. For instance, you could probably register sendreceive.pro. Just one word of warning. Some of the tlds may be controlled by registrars that will give you a great price for initial registration, but then try to exploit your wish to keep the domain later. If you find a name you really like, register it for 10 years in advance.

xyzzy 30 Nov 2018 05:32 PM

Not sure at this point what I would do with my own domain other than as a new "toy" to play with. I've used my forwarding service's domain for so long there is no real reason to change it now. And besides, it's free. :D