EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Best email client for IMAP (thread started on 6-30-2003) (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=14042)

CWaldman 30 Jun 2003 01:21 PM

Best email client for IMAP

I am curious as to what people suggest to use as an email client for IMAP. I previously was using OE for POP but it doesn't seem to work so nicely for IMAP. It, for some reason, always tells me I have new mail, when it doesn't seem like I do. It also is very slow. For instance, when I move messages to different folders or even mark a message as read or unread. I get an "Updating flags" message for several seconds. I am using a DSL connection.

If you have an email client you would recommend, please let me know what it is and what you like and dislike about it.

Thanks,
Chad

sflorack 30 Jun 2003 02:22 PM

I'm afraid I can't offer any real positives or negatives as I'm not client-fluent, but I've enjoyed giving Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/) a try.

It doesn't seem to have the problems you describe in OE. Atleast I don't notice any lag on my end.

BritTim 30 Jun 2003 03:01 PM

I looked at this a while ago and found no perfect solutions. To a degree, the best option depends on your personal needs. If you do not need disconnected support (i.e. access to the files when you do not have a connection to the server) then Pegasus Mail is quite good. If you are willing to operate with clients that are mostly sound but buggy around the edges, then I have two to suggest: M2 used in conjunction with the Opera browser and Thunderbird (Mozilla) mentioned by sflorack above. There do not seem to be better options, at least for free.

davidbstanley 30 Jun 2003 06:14 PM

Unless there are lots of folders, OE works pretty well with IMAP, even over a slow connection. If performance is poor then there is likely to be something else going on. Possibly caused by a firewall?

sflorack 30 Jun 2003 08:17 PM

Something else I'd thought I'd mention about Thunderbird...

Although only in alpha release, they have nightly builds (which is deceiving since they are only released once a week) available for download. I've never had a single crash, and each minor upgrade adds something exciting.

And if Thunderbird becomes too buggy, I know I still have the option of the FM web interface...

psalzer 30 Jun 2003 08:19 PM

I have to concur, although I'm certainly no expert either. I'm also not a huge OE fan in general, but that's just personal taste and it does seem to be a capable IMAP client as is Mozilla. I haven't tried Thunderbird as yet.

Drencrom 30 Jun 2003 08:22 PM

Best IMAP:

Mozilla

Mulberry

redmyrlin 30 Jun 2003 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Drencrom
Best IMAP:

Mozilla

Mulberry

If Mozilla covers both the suite mail app and Thunderbird, then I can only agree and compliment you on your good taste and excellent judgement! :)

ReuvenNY 1 Jul 2003 01:59 AM

You may want to check this treat too: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...threadid=14016
Although it discusses free email clients, it has some interesting points.

fmfan 1 Jul 2003 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BritTim
There do not seem to be better options, at least for free.
My chance to ask the question - wonder if get answer?

OK - What's best email client for FastMail.fm imap not free ~ $30 to $50 to ?

Really interested to know opinions!

redmyrlin 1 Jul 2003 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by fmfan
...OK - What's best email client for FastMail.fm imap not free ...
Best has to be Mulberry! :cool: :) - not sure how much exactly it is these days, though. ;)

ReuvenNY 1 Jul 2003 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by fmfan
OK - What's best email client for FastMail.fm imap not free ~ $30 to $50 to ?
What do you mean "best"? Most IMAP flexible? Easiest to use? Most appealing visually? Most feature rich?
There is no one answer to your question. You have to be more specific.

fmfan 1 Jul 2003 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ReuvenNY
What do you mean "best"? Most IMAP flexible? Easiest to use? Most appealing visually? Most feature rich? There is no one answer to your question. You have to be more specific.
1. Most reliable - no quirks like lose all email in folders in Mozilla if create a new folder
in FastMail.fm web interface, similar.

2. Most IMAP flexible - if this means really works well with IMAP -
... if so - same as 1. to me - asking about IMAP email client.

3. Easiest to
... A. Setup
... B. Use

4. Most feature rich

In that order or degree of combinations in that order.

Lee 1 Jul 2003 10:52 AM

I love Mozilla, but I don't use IMAP. I had many problems, only some of which were resolved. Now, it's been a month since I tried it.

The problem I was unable to resolve was the frequent errors:

"Server www.fastmail.fm has disconnected. The server may have gone down or there may be a network problem."

Anyone know if this is resolved in the recent Mozilla builds? I saw it in 1.4rc1.

See this thread for some Mozilla issues from about a month ago.

fmfan 1 Jul 2003 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lee
"Server www.fastmail.fm has disconnected.
The server may have gone down or there may be a network problem."
Have seen reported by more than one, but have never experienced myself
- Moz 1.2 through 1.3.1 .

Servers are now:

mail.messagingengine.com

and
front-end server - 3 ? - just put into service -
wonder if 1 or combo of 2 would help situation of those who have experienced?

Helps that I have DSL connection??

If there can be a problem - it usually finds me!
- think would make good beta tester. ;)