EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   About our first fastmail.com customer (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=69700)

FredOnline 29 Oct 2014 03:35 AM

About our first fastmail.com customer

Today's FastMail Weblog:

http://blog.fastmail.com/2014/10/28/...-com-customer/

Seeing as the Fastmail team are basking in the warm fuzzy glow of a successful roll-out, I thought it would be interesting to hear about the success (or not) of getting your own fastmail.COM e-mail address.

Poll is anonymous.

nighthawk700 29 Oct 2014 05:06 AM

Not enough options in the poll, so here's my write in:

Got my second choice preferred fastmail.COM address - roll-out process was fair.

curvefan 29 Oct 2014 05:23 AM

Thanks to this site, and robn from fastmail, who gave us a heads up when things were going to go live, I was able to get the dot com address that I wanted.

I voted that I got the preferred name that I wanted and that it was fair in how they rolled it out.

I still wish that the people that had the .fm address would have gotten first dibs on the .com address, but all in all, it was handled as fairly as possible.

Thanks everybody......................

nighthawk700 29 Oct 2014 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curvefan (Post 577636)
Thanks to this site, and robn from fastmail, who gave us a heads up when things were going to go live, I was able to get the dot com address that I wanted.

I voted that I got the preferred name that I wanted and that it was fair in how they rolled it out.

I still wish that the people that had the .fm address would have gotten first dibs on the .com address, but all in all, it was handled as fairly as possible.

I use the .us address, but have been a Fastmail user for over 10 years now. Why would it be fairer for someone with .fm to go ahead of me?

curvefan 29 Oct 2014 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nighthawk700 (Post 577638)
I use the .us address, but have been a Fastmail user for over 10 years now. Why would it be fairer for someone with .fm to go ahead of me?

Your point is well taken.

But, In my opinion, .fm was the name you registered because the .com version wasn't available.

I really don't believe all names are created equal.

Until the .com version was made available, the .fm took its place.

Just my opinion folks...............

William9 29 Oct 2014 07:34 AM

Anything other than .com is a second choice.

David 29 Oct 2014 08:11 AM

Mankind is a selfish beast (at best) - you can bet your bottom dollar, that those who failed to get their preferred .com address, were not entirely happy with the process, especially if they owned a .fm address that they really liked.

cmac 29 Oct 2014 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curvefan (Post 577636)

yes, if i were not a member of this forum i very much doubt i would of been successful in getting my firstname@fastmail.com.

David 29 Oct 2014 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmac (Post 577649)
yes, if i were not a member of this forum i very much doubt i would of been successful in getting my firstname@fastmail.com.

All of the firstname addresses I have owned (over the years) at good dot com domain's, have ended up (at the end of the day) becoming spam traps, and I have had to give them up.

If your first name is as rare as hen's teeth you might have better luck than I :)

FredOnline 30 Oct 2014 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 577652)
All of the firstname addresses I have owned (over the years) at good dot com domain's, have ended up (at the end of the day) becoming spam traps, and I have had to give them up.

As I stated in another thread, I did not get an e-mail from Fastmail about the roll-out.

It was only by luck - being active on this forum, and so being aware of when the roll-out was happening - that I got my preferred fastmail.com address.

Otherwise, I wouldn't have known about it.

Now I have this address, and already getting spam to it, I'm wondering if there's any way (rules/sieve) to make this particular address to accept whitelist (addresses in address book) only, and reject all others?

I don't get spam to my other addresses on this account, so just looking at the fastmail.com address only.

jeffpan 30 Oct 2014 09:14 AM

Two questions about FM the company

• Has FM been bought back from Opera?
  • Fastmail.com is a canada company IIRC, has FM bought this company?

Thanks

robn 30 Oct 2014 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffpan (Post 577706)
Has FM been bought back from Opera?

Yes, last year: http://blog.fastmail.com/2013/09/25/...ss-from-opera/

Quote:

Fastmail.com is a canada company IIRC, has FM bought this company?
You're talking about fastmail.ca. No, they are unrelated to FastMail.

n5bb 30 Oct 2014 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredOnline (Post 577691)
As I stated in another thread, I did not get an e-mail from Fastmail about the roll-out...

There are four Fastmail notification selections in Advanced>Preferences. As far as I can tell, for "chatty" or "informative" notification preference notices were sent to all account levels (even grandfathered legacy Member and Guest accounts) on or about Oct 20. The notices show a green checkmark (using the normal web interface) and the subject was "FastMail is moving to fastmail.com". I don't know what happened if your notification selection was "important", and assume that you would not get a notice if you selected "none". I also recommend that you subscribe to the Fastmail blog at http://blog.fastmail.com to see additional information.
Quote:

Originally Posted by FredOnline (Post 577691)
...Now I have this address, and already getting spam to it, I'm wondering if there's any way (rules/sieve) to make this particular address to accept whitelist (addresses in address book) only, and reject all others?...

Yes, this is possible with either a discard rule or file into spam folder advanced rule. I will post the details in a few minutes.

Bill

n5bb 30 Oct 2014 11:49 AM

Discard messages sent to certain aliases unless whitelisted

You can discard all messages sent to one or more aliases (unless they are whitelisted) as follows:
  • Go to the Advanced>Rules>Discard tab
  • Create discard rule(s) as follows:
    • Message with: To/Cc/Bcc
    • That: Contains
    • The text: {alias address you wish to discard}
    • Click Add
    • You can add additional aliases if you wish
    • Be sure to enable Skip reject rules on known sender near the bottom of the screen
    • Click Save changes
    • Click Apply all changes at the top
All messages sent to those specific aliases will be discarded unless any of these is true:
  • The sender address is in the online address book
  • The message is sent by Fastmail staff manually or automatically
  • The secret word (defined on the discard page) is included in the subject or the To address
Bill

FredOnline 30 Oct 2014 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n5bb (Post 577710)
You can discard all messages sent to one or more aliases (unless they are whitelisted) as follows:
  • Go to the Advanced>Rules>Discard tab
  • Create discard rule(s) as follows:
    • Message with: To/Cc/Bcc
    • That: Contains
    • The text: {alias address you wish to discard}
    • Click Add
    • You can add additional aliases if you wish
    • Be sure to enable Skip reject rules on known sender near the bottom of the screen
    • Click Save changes
    • Click Apply all changes at the top
All messages sent to those specific aliases will be discarded unless any of these is true:
  • The sender address is in the online address book
  • The message is sent by Fastmail staff manually or automatically
  • The secret word (defined on the discard page) is included in the subject or the To address
Bill

Yes, thanks for that info, Bill.

The skip reject rules on known sender near the bottom of the screen was confusing as it didn't seem to relate (to me anyway) to the discard option near the top of the screen.