EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Computer loads FM; app does not (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=74609)

noclue 27 Aug 2019 09:32 AM

Computer loads FM; app does not

For whatever reason, I cannot access my email on my iPad which I open via the FM app. On my computer, FM opens up just fine. All the other apps on the iPad also open with no problems.. I've been wrestling with this all day. Any suggestions?

Berenburger 27 Aug 2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noclue (Post 611253)
For whatever reason, I cannot access my email on my iPad which I open via the FM app. On my computer, FM opens up just fine. All the other apps on the iPad also open with no problems.. I've been wrestling with this all day. Any suggestions?

To begin with. Does your app not open or can’t you read the emails?

n5bb 27 Aug 2019 04:12 PM

I'm not sure this matters, but on Monday there were two updates to my iOS devices:
  • New iOS version 12.4.1
  • New Fastmail version 2.2.0.2142
I suggest updating to both of these new versions, assuming your iPad is new enough to get this iOS update. During the iOS update the iPad will reboot. My iPad and iPhone are working fine (both before and after these two updates).

Bill

noclue 27 Aug 2019 05:58 PM

I've done the iiOS update, but not the FastMail. Is it done automatically?

n5bb 27 Aug 2019 10:58 PM

Use the App Store icon, then use Updates at the bottom. If you have the FastMail app installed, you should find FastMail - Email & Calendar.

noclue 28 Aug 2019 07:06 AM

I didn’t realize I had to go to a special place to get FM updates. Thanks for letting me know, Bill. That might solve the whole problem.

Berenburger 28 Aug 2019 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noclue (Post 611264)
I didn’t realize I had to go to a special place to get FM updates. Thanks for letting me know, Bill. That might solve the whole problem.

It’s not a ‘special’ place. It’s where you can find all the updates of your apps on your iPad.

n5bb 30 Aug 2019 03:37 PM

The Apple iOS App Store is how all apps (programs) are installed and updated on your iPad.

To change how apps are updated, first open the Settings icon (which looks like two concentric grey gears).
  • Then scroll down a couple of screens and select the iTunes & App Store setup page.
  • If I were you, i would turn on (make green) the blue Apps and blue Updates automatic downloads choices.
  • On that same setup page, you can choose whether to Use Cellular Data for automatic downloads (if your iOS device has a cellular modem activated). You can always use a Wi-Fi network connection to the internet to download updates.
  • If automatic downloads of updates is set to active, then updates to any of your apps (such as the Fastmail app) will be automatically made when available. Automatic updates may take a few hours to complete in the background.
  • The method I described in an earlier post (App Store > Updates) lets you force an update to be installed even if it hasn't been automatically installed in the background.
To change the settings of the Fastmail app, go back to the main top level of the Settings and perform the following steps;
  • Scroll way down in the top-level Settings screen and select the Fastmail app settings.
  • The Notifications area is how you set up the Fastmail app to notify you when new messages arrive or calendar alerts occur.
    • At the bottom of the Notifications page, you can select Fastmail Notification Settings to move to the Fastmail app to set up new message and calendar alerts.
    • Select the System notification settings button to go back to the iOS Settings area.
  • Background App Refresh allows the Fastmail app to receive emails even when you are not actively using the Fastmail app.
  • If your device has an internal cellular data feature, you have a choice to enable use of Cellular Data.
  • The Backend should normally show "Production".
Bill

noclue 1 Sep 2019 11:00 AM

Thank you, Bill. Incredibly, there is NO FM APP on my iTunes app page. I think the problem may be that I changed from Verizon to T-Mobile whih does not support my iPad unless I am in my house where I have WiFi. I have to keep "cellular data" off unless I leave the house. If I turn it on, I get endless (like every 20 seconds) reminders from T-Mobile to turn it off.

Am I totally offbase here?

n5bb 1 Sep 2019 12:48 PM

I have no idea why T-mobile would tell your device to turn off "cellular data" if WiFi was available. I don't have a T-mobile account, but I don't see that behavior with Verizon or AT&T. You should be able to leave both WiFi and cellular data enabled at the same time, no matter where you are. As I pointed out in my previous post, your device can be set so that it requires you to use WiFi (rather than cellular) data to install App Store programs.

Unless you have purchased the feature from your cellular phone provider, you might not be able to activate the Personal Hotspot feature in Settings. This depends on your cellular plan.

If you actually have the Fastmail app installed, you can see some details by following these steps:
  • Open the Settings standard iOS app (which looks like concentric grey gears).
  • At the top level of Settings, scroll way down until you see the alphabetical list of apps you have installed from the app store. Look for Fastmail and open that entry.
  • You should see the choices I described in my last post. You should also see the version of the app you have currently installed. The latest version is 2.15.2116.
You can install the Fastmail app on your iOS device (if you have an internet connection) by opening a browser on the device and going to:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fastma...ts/id931370077
If you have an older Fastmail app already installed, this will just overwrite your old app with the new one.

Bill

noclue 1 Sep 2019 05:55 PM

If I overwrite that app (which somehow I don't have; I think my Apple lady - who was not fond of FM & wanted me to use iCloud - may have set it up some other way. Not sure), will I lose my current emails?

Berenburger 1 Sep 2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noclue (Post 611338)
If I overwrite that app (which somehow I don't have; I think my Apple lady - who was not fond of FM & wanted me to use iCloud - may have set it up some other way. Not sure), will I lose my current emails?

Convince your Apple lady to install the Fastmail app. It’s much, much easier to use and maintain.

noclue 2 Sep 2019 05:32 PM

I am currently using the app; the problem is that I have no FM icon in my list of apps for updating. That seems impossible, but there you have it.

As Bill suggested, can I just re-install the app? Get it from the App store like should have been done in the first place. My question about that is what would happen to my emails which are already there? Would I lose them?

gj15 2 Sep 2019 06:53 PM

@noclue, is it possible you have a shortcut on the iPad home screen to the Fastmail web login page and not the actual Fastmail app? If I set up both on my iPad the icons are identical.

One way of telling the difference:
- the web login shortcut will open in the web browser and have an address bar at the top and other symbols (forward, back, bookmarks etc.) alongside the bar
- the app has just the Fastmail logo and slogan at the top left.

n5bb 2 Sep 2019 06:56 PM

What you are telling us can't be completely true. Here is what the Fastmail app looks like:
https://www.fastmail.com/help/clients/mobileapp.html

Look at the bottom image, which shows what the Fastmail iOS app looks like on an iPad in landscape orientation. It looks nearly exactly like that (with my own messages, of course) when I start the Fastmail app on my iPad. Please notice that there is no URL or browser tabs at the top.
  • If you are using the Fastmail app, you should see the blue bar at the top showing the folder you are reading, and above it there is nothing except for the iPad time, date, signal strength, and battery indicators.
  • If you are using a browser, there will normally be something above that blue bar (the URL and other features from the browser).
  • If you are using the Apple Mail app, it looks completely different. There is no blue bar showing the folder at the top, and no bar at the bottom showing Mail / Contacts / Calendar / etc.
As I said, if you go to Settings on your iPad, you should see the Fastmail app listed if you scroll way down on the screen if the Fastmail app is installed. If it's not installed, you can install it as I described from the Apple App store.

Since I don't know how you are really reading and sending Fastmail messages, I can't tell you what will happen if you delete that app. You might have local folders set up on an email client which are not synchronized with the Fastmail server.

What happens if you use a browser and log into your account at https://www.fastmail.com ? Do you see all of your messages there in your folders? If yes, then you should be able to delete whatever you are using now with no problems. But if you have folders and/or messages visible on your device which you can not see at the fastmail.com website, you can lose messages if you just delete whatever program you are using.

This is why its so much easier to do this the easy way:
  • On a mobile iOS device, install the Fastmail app from the Apple app store. You will only be able to use the app when you are connected to the internet, but everything you see in the mobile app will be identical to the messages stored at the Fastmail server and visible when you log in using a browser.
  • You can also use a browser on your iOS mobile device logged into the Fastmail website. But the Fastmail app works better.
  • If you are using a PC, log in using a browser to the Fastmail website and use it.
Bill