EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   2 day maintenance !?!?!?! (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=39242)

mainsoft 11 Nov 2005 05:09 PM

2 day maintenance !?!?!?!

Hi,

Just got this message when trying to logon:

"
The account you are trying to login to is on a server which requires emergency maintenance. The maintenance will take around 2 days - it should be complete by the end of the weekend. Update will be posted to FastMail.FM's status page
"

Don't tell me I'll not be able to retrieve my emails during two full days!!!! You're killing my business!

rthomas 11 Nov 2005 05:16 PM

I'm in the same situation.
I understand that when server crash you can't restore it instantly.

For the next time could you plan an emergency redirection setting?
When you (fastmail) think it will take a long time to restore an account then you can redirect a copy of the new mails to the emergency account.

What do you think of this improvement?

Remi

matto 11 Nov 2005 05:21 PM

Maybe they should think of some way so that we could at least read new emails.

mainsoft 11 Nov 2005 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by matto
Maybe they should think of some way so that we could at least read new emails.
I have setup redirection for those emails not directly sent to a FastMail address but I can't read emails sent to these accounts and redirected to FastMail since the server failed.

It seems very strange that so much time is needed to replace a failing server. Could be a sign of not so good organization.

I think that FastMail should provide a way to specify an address to which emails should be redirected when things are going wrong. I can accept an interruption of service for a few hours but a two-day interruption is beyond the acceptable limit.

sgmerley 11 Nov 2005 05:59 PM

Intolerable

A two-day outage with no provision for emergency redirection-- completely unacceptable.

I am not happy which is an understatement of epic proportions.

Edward Velo 11 Nov 2005 06:27 PM

I'm on Belgian time, and yesterday when I came home around 18:00 fastmail stopped working for the whole evening. Now, it's fridaynoon here in Belgium and it's still not working. And what's even worse: now there's a message saying that it will take two days to fix it!

Two days. This is a joke, right?

What firm can do this to its customers, I ask myself? Two days is an eternity in the fast e-mail world! Does anyone realise this? How come there is no emergency plan for this? Some people really rely on their emails you know!

Because there are not many new innovative things being developped at Fastmail, I thought they used their energy to make sure of a high uptime. Guess I was really wrong.

Does anyone realises how bad this really is?

But I'm sure when it's fixed we'll see the usual message "we have done some changes to make sure this won't happen again..." (as we've seen so many times)

A very unhappy ENHANCED user
without any email for the whole weekend, thanks to Fastmail

aitcheff 11 Nov 2005 06:56 PM

The website also appears to be down. I haven't been able to access www.fastmail.fm for the last couple of hours.

mainsoft 11 Nov 2005 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by rthomas
I'm in the same situation.
Salut RĂ©mi,

The "real" thread about this failure is apparently running on "Fastmail.FM Help and Current Issues".

A+

guest2k 11 Nov 2005 08:02 PM

2 days ????,:mad: what about my emails :confused:

lutje 11 Nov 2005 08:15 PM

A shame and too often

I can not access to my mails ... might be for 2 days ??? !!!!!

It is a shame as I have paid for the address. I have never seen such a long down with hotmail ... and their address is FREE !!!

It appears that the servers of Fastmail are often down ... just wondering why !!!!

If this happens again too often I will have to change my email address as I want to have RELIABLE address especially if I pay for the service !:mad:

Berg 11 Nov 2005 08:45 PM

Re: Intolerable

Quote:

Originally posted by sgmerley
A two-day outage with no provision for emergency redirection-- completely unacceptable.

I am not happy which is an understatement of epic proportions.

Problems do happen, and I can understand that - BUT not to have redundancy/load balancing that would
  • allow more reliability for customers,
  • some alternate access to read existing mail, or newly received mail,
  • to send mail
is completely unacceptable !

To make matters worst, FastMail has elected to restore starting with the smaller mailboxes which probably does not include its enhanced or full account paying customers. One would think that those paying the larger fees are the ones with the larger mailboxes. Not taking care of your better customers is a big mistake.

I have accepted the outages that occured until now, but a two to three day outage, with no alternative and without taking into account their best customers is enough.

Time to look for an other service provider !

lutje 11 Nov 2005 08:51 PM

I do agree with Berg

I totally agree with Berg ... and we can not do more than just wait. The only positive aspect (we should at least try to find one ;) ) is that we are informed about the problem and we are kept informed :D

It must be a big problem for those using Fastmail for professional reasons .. for the others it might be the opportunity to do something else .. read a book, listen to music or have a look on internet to find another reliable webmail :p

lateplate 11 Nov 2005 10:20 PM

as i mentioned in another topic, i'm outta here. i'm a longtime fastmail customer (3+ years), and i've seen all the "growing pains" and so forth. but this is absolutely the last straw. no contingency, no failover, 2 day restore. ludicrous. you're telling me a restore of a file system takes 2 days? wow is that horrible system. i particularly like how the storage is obviously not redundant (can anyone say RAID) and every account on said server goes down with it. truly amazing.

see ya fm, no more stealing my $20 a year (or the dozens of other folks i blindly recommended here).

Raorn 11 Nov 2005 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lateplate
as i mentioned in another topic, i'm outta here. i'm a longtime fastmail customer (3+ years), and i've seen all the "growing pains" and so forth. but this is absolutely the last straw. no contingency, no failover, 2 day restore. ludicrous. you're telling me a restore of a file system takes 2 days? wow is that horrible system. i particularly like how the storage is obviously not redundant (can anyone say RAID) and every account on said server goes down with it. truly amazing.

see ya fm, no more stealing my $20 a year (or the dozens of other folks i blindly recommended here).

good luck bro....

i have been here, same as you, and yes...i am upset.

i challange you to find more features elsewhere. i challange you to find better communication and service from the tech team elsewhere.

while i can tell you, if i told my bosses email would be down for two days, i'd be fired. disaster recovery is not a priority to the folks here at FM. maybe now after they lose customers like you, it will become a priority.

llista 11 Nov 2005 11:02 PM

I think I am one of the lucky ones that has been able to access his email account without problems.

I fully sympathise with people who are upset, I would also be if my PRIMARY email account was down two days with no notice, we all know that things break down, that is why we all make plans for that when happens

To THINK that people on FREE accounts will have their service restored before than PAYING CUSTOMERS is a JOKE.