EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Fastmail - app passwords (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=78496)

digp 12 Feb 2021 10:36 PM

Fastmail - app passwords

Since when were these removed from the basic plan?

"App Passwords"

Additional apps such as Outlook or Apple Mail are not supported on your plan. Please upgrade if you would like to use these with your account.

It is sufficiently irritating to think about changing providers!!!!

This is absolutely pathetic.

Archive machine suggests it is a change rolled out in the last month or so. This should have been announced.

Really disgusted with fm's approach here.

(And no it is not a fair reply to say the FM app exists, that is just pants.)

emoore 13 Feb 2021 01:09 AM

I'm still on a legacy plan since they don't provide U2F support for 3rd party email clients (that support U2F like Thunderbird does). I'm looking forward to using JMAP when Thunderbird adds support for it. But this change means I'd have to upgrade to standard, not basic. Sigh.

xyzzy 13 Feb 2021 04:41 AM

What am I missing here? I have a basic plan and have an app password set up for my Thunderbird. Is not supporting them for this plan take effect when it comes time to renew?

placebo 13 Feb 2021 05:31 AM

Wow. I used to think FastMail was a bit like Apple: charge a higher price for a superior product. But changes like this make me think of them more like Intiuit: make changes to screw your customers and milk more money out of them.

xyzzy 13 Feb 2021 09:49 AM

Update to my earlier post...

I see nothing in the Billing & Plan summaries or the Password & Security's App Passwords section indicating this feature is not available. That's true for beta or release FM.

But...

Not logging in and clicking Pricing shows in the table for Basic "Your choice of email apps (Outlook, iPhone Mail)" has an X next to it. So I wonder what's going to happen when it comes time to renew my account? :confused::eek::mad:

I guess it's "ticket time" to ask.

Terry 13 Feb 2021 02:05 PM

Its in my account in passwords and security....not in Billing

Its about a 20 year old account...:D

xyzzy 13 Feb 2021 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry (Post 620011)
Its in my account in passwords and security....not in Billing

As I previously said I looked in my (Basic) account's Password & Security settings and see nothing out of the ordinary. My Thunderbird works just fine with it's app password. FWIW my account is about 3 years old.

Terry 13 Feb 2021 02:36 PM

Its there he just has to look harder for the log in part...:D to gain a new app password

Click on manage

pjroutledge 14 Feb 2021 04:54 AM

From Fastmail Support (click 'Learn more' on the screen where you manage app passwords):

"Users on a Basic plan will not be able to use Fastmail on third-party mail clients, or create app passwords. IMAP, SMTP, CalDAV, and CardDAV are available to Standard and Professional users only. If you have a Basic plan, you can use Fastmail on a desktop web browser or the Fastmail app on any mobile devices, such as a phone or tablet."

digp 14 Feb 2021 05:43 AM

It has been removed.

Perhaps they will grandfather existing users in. Perhaps they will not.

A very basic feature like that should not be removed from the basic package.

I have been forced to upgrade to get it on a new account BUT they have lost the goodwill they had with me.

If a viable alternative exists I will jump ship.

digp 14 Feb 2021 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjroutledge (Post 620017)
From Fastmail Support (click 'Learn more' on the screen where you manage app passwords):

"Users on a Basic plan will not be able to use Fastmail on third-party mail clients, or create app passwords. IMAP, SMTP, CalDAV, and CardDAV are available to Standard and Professional users only. If you have a Basic plan, you can use Fastmail on a desktop web browser or the Fastmail app on any mobile devices, such as a phone or tablet."

Fastmail support has also sunk really badly. This is not the only example. Giving out incorrect information.

digp 14 Feb 2021 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xyzzy (Post 620002)
What am I missing here? I have a basic plan and have an app password set up for my Thunderbird. Is not supporting them for this plan take effect when it comes time to renew?

If you find out please post here. Thank you.

xyzzy 14 Feb 2021 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjroutledge (Post 620017)

So nice of them to bury it down in there. I've updated my ticket telling them of my displeasure (and reiterated my question about what happens at renewal time).

Berenburger 14 Feb 2021 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digp (Post 620000)
Since when were these removed from the basic plan?

Since about August 2020. This is the old pricing page: http://web.archive.org/web/202008142...l.com/pricing/
The “Your choice of email apps (Outlook, iPhone Mail)” has not yet been added to the list here.
Sneaky. :(

Terry 14 Feb 2021 08:21 AM

It's only $24 more a year to upgrade.