EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Export single email from FM (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=73727)

camner 26 Apr 2018 09:46 AM

Export single email from FM

Is there a way to export a single email from Fastmail? Many IMAP clients have the ability to do that (they often use .eml or .txt format).

At this point, I have abandoned the use of IMAP clients and use the web interface (via an SSB) exclusively and if I don't have to I'd rather not keep an IMAP client around and synced with FM just so that occasionally I can export an individual email.

BritTim 26 Apr 2018 11:21 AM

It is not quite as easy as it used to be. The best way now is:
  • Create a folder called, say, forExport
  • Copy message(s) to be downloaded into that folder (easiest way is to hold down the Alt key and then click and drag the message with the mouse)
  • Go to Settings->]Folders
  • At the bottom of the page click on Mass delete or remove duplicates (yes, this is not the obvious place to look!)
  • A new page opens where you can select the folder (such as forExport) and use the section Purge/download messages with the Download messages to zip action
While it seems a bit involved, it does not take long once you know how.

Cox 26 Apr 2018 05:33 PM

While you view the mail, click on More in the top right corner of the mail. Then click Show Raw Message.

Save the raw message by pressing CTRL + S or selecting Save in your browser.

The saved file is a valid eml file which can be opened in other mail applications.

camner 27 Apr 2018 09:05 AM

@BritTim Thanks! It's certainly not as straightforward as would be ideal, but it works!

And @Cox, thanks for your tip. That seems even simpler (as long as a .txt version is sufficient, which it typically is for my purposes)

I'll use both methods, depending on whether I need to preserve the original HTML formatting or not.

gardenweed 27 Apr 2018 09:13 AM

The method I use ....

While in the email that you want to export, click "More" and "Forward as an attachment"
A new email in the compose screen will be created with the wanted email shown as an attachment.

Click on the attachment and it will be downloaded as an EML file to your computer.

camner 27 Apr 2018 09:58 AM

@Gardenweed...Oooh, I think I like this best of all! Thanks!

aussieboykie 27 Apr 2018 02:43 PM

I would like to see an FAQ sticky on this forum and this would definitely merit inclusion. Thanks to all who contributed. :)

Cox 27 Apr 2018 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camner (Post 606405)
And @Cox, thanks for your tip. That seems even simpler (as long as a .txt version is sufficient, which it typically is for my purposes)

You don't get a txt version, you get an eml version! Your browser might suggest .txt as a file extension, but you can also use .eml, because it is acutally eml ;)

Terry 28 Apr 2018 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussieboykie (Post 606412)
I would like to see an FAQ sticky on this forum and this would definitely merit inclusion. Thanks to all who contributed. :)

I quite agree...:D