EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   Email Help Needed! (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Email and calendar separately (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=78822)

Fenman 21 Sep 2021 10:26 PM

Email and calendar separately

Up until now I've been using email services that have integrated calendars - such as Google, Fastmail and Outlook. It sometimes occurs to me to move my domains to one of the very good 'email only' services.

If I did change to 'email only,' is there any smart way to work with a third party calendar so that invitations, meeting details, events etc get easily entered into a calendar? I'm thinking primarily of online services.

If so, what might that calendar be?

Is this even a thing?

FredOnline 22 Sep 2021 03:06 AM

I know you've edited your post to clarify, but I'm not exactly sure what you want to accomplish.

Are you saying, for example, because Fastmail has a calendar you would prefer not to use it?

If you are wanting to use an online calendar that is separate from your email, I would suggest moving your domain registrar to Gandi - they offer 2 x 3GB mail accounts free, and with that is included - if you use the SOGo interface - an online calendar.

Fenman 22 Sep 2021 03:35 AM

Thanks, Fredonline and sorry not to be clear.

At the moment I am very happy with Fastmail and like the calendar very much and use it. It occurred that some time in the future I might want to/have to move away from Fastmail. I *think* there are some good email hosts that don't have calendars. It's possible I'm wrong here.

If I had to use one of those, then how do I link it with a calendar?

(The more I think about it the more I realise the question is dumb!)

Yes, Gandi would suit well if ever I came away from .Fastmail. :(

pjroutledge 22 Sep 2021 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenman (Post 622527)

If I'm understanding you, what you want is to be able to send and accept email calendar invitations and have your calendar automatically updated, as happens with Fastmail.

I can't answer with complete authority but I would be very surprised if you could find a webmail service that would support remote calendar updates. If you happened to be using a client (that supports both email and calendar, such as Outlook) then I think it's pretty likely you could make that work with distinct email and calendar services.

Berenburger 22 Sep 2021 08:17 PM

In the Apple eco system Mail and Calendar are separated.

Reader 23 Sep 2021 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenman (Post 622527)
Thanks, Fredonline and sorry not to be clear.

At the moment I am very happy with Fastmail and like the calendar very much and use it. It occurred that some time in the future I might want to/have to move away from Fastmail. I *think* there are some good email hosts that don't have calendars. It's possible I'm wrong here.

(The more I think about it the more I realise the question is dumb!)

Yes, Gandi would suit well if ever I came away from .Fastmail. :(

A cloud based calendar comes to mind, but I am not sure if it will work out for you.
I am using mainly Thunderbird across several computers, Linux and Mac.
Using a free nextcloud account at woelkli.com, which includes a calendar function.
Also "To-do"-calendars.
I am not getting/sending meeting invitations though, but I don't see shy this should not work with Thunderbird with emal set up.
Syncing nice between all computers (and mobile devices too btw)

Fenman 23 Sep 2021 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reader (Post 622533)
A cloud based calendar comes to mind, but I am not sure if it will work out for you.
I am using mainly Thunderbird across several computers, Linux and Mac.
Using a free nextcloud account at woelkli.com, which includes a calendar function.
Also "To-do"-calendars.
I am not getting/sending meeting invitations though, but I don't see shy this should not work with Thunderbird with emal set up.
Syncing nice between all computers (and mobile devices too btw)

Many thanks, Reader. I think I could probably make something of that.