EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   Runbox Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   links to open in new window (webmail) (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=51467)

petrs 9 Jan 2008 10:16 PM

links to open in new window (webmail)

this might have been brought up by others before...

when clicking on links in an email in the webmail application I would like to have the links opened in a new window - same way it works w/ other email servers (I always forget the right click - open in new tab/window thingie ;)))

can this be implemented?

Geir 10 Jan 2008 01:07 AM

This is of course possible, but I suspect some users would be annoyed if messages were opened in new windows without them being able to choose for themselves.

We could of course add an option for this in the Webmail Preferences, but a quick shortcut is to press the Shift key on your keyboard while clicking a link. :)

- Geir

petrs 10 Jan 2008 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geir (Post 440909)
This is of course possible, but I suspect some users would be annoyed if messages were opened in new windows without them being able to choose for themselves.

We could of course add an option for this in the Webmail Preferences, but a quick shortcut is to press the Shift key on your keyboard while clicking a link. :)

- Geir

I am using multiple email accounts (1 company and 2 private) so I would appreciate if the basic behaviour was the same for all of them even though runbox dares to be different ;)

shift or right click is the same, I tend to forget...

I would argue w/ you Geir, I guess it gets more annoying to always go back in the browsing history to get back to the webmail.. ;)

carverrn 10 Jan 2008 08:05 AM

Should all links open to a new window (i.e. every link opens another window) or should all links within a given message open to the same new window?

Regards,
Rich

petrs 10 Jan 2008 06:06 PM

all links in a new windows, i.e. as many windows as many links... ;)

hajonez 11 Jan 2008 11:11 PM

I actually like the current behaviour of the web interface when clicking on links in emails. I can understand why automatically opening links in new windows would be advantageous at times but I like the flexibility and choice the current implementation allows. I am a big user of tabs and would find it frustrating to have every link opened in a new window. I like being able to choose whether to open a link in a tab, new window or in the existing Runbox window depending on my key presses. I would like this flexibility to remain if at all possible.

Petrs, I don't mean to criticise your suggestion as I can understand why some would find the current implementation annoying. However, I think it's important to provide another viewpoint on the issue as I would be slightly miffed if the current behaviour was changed.

Hope all at Runbox and all in the wider Runbox community have had a happy and healthy start to the New Year. :)

- Henry

petrs 12 Jan 2008 07:04 AM

yeah, yeah... I forgot I still live in the stone age w/ IE 6.x ;))

lio34adams 14 Jan 2008 01:34 AM

lio34adams