EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   cannot access over web..but desktop works (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=69927)

muppetandchums 13 Dec 2014 10:57 PM

cannot access over web..but desktop works

I've been using fastmail since 1997.
So today I try to log into my fastmail account over the web using chrome.
All the credentials are saved in LastPass; unchanged in many years. I've used them before.
Credentials fail.Repeatedly.
No reason given.

I go back to the desktop ...fire up Outlook 2010...all the fastmail emails are available. IMAP & SMTP work fine.
It works perfectly.

What is going on ?

M&C

janusz 13 Dec 2014 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetandchums (Post 579675)
All the credentials are saved in LastPass; unchanged in many years

May be that's the reason? The login page is now fastmail.com, not fastmail.fm.

Berenburger 14 Dec 2014 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetandchums (Post 579675)
I've been using fastmail since 1997.

FastMail started in 1999.

https://www.fastmail.com/help/legal/company.html
Quote:

FastMail was started by Rob Mueller and Jeremy Howard in 1999. We are an employee-owned, independent company located in Melbourne, Australia with servers at New York Internet in the USA and at Thor Data Centre in Iceland.

David 14 Dec 2014 06:58 AM

I remember opening a 'free' Fastmail account (before they went paid) - it was earlier than 1999 I believe.

BritTim 14 Dec 2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 579692)
I remember opening a 'free' Fastmail account (before they went paid) - it was earlier than 1999 I believe.

It was still free when I joined in 2002. I rather doubt it was available to any except a close circle of family and friends before 1999.

n5bb 14 Dec 2014 11:59 AM

Every description I can find by Jeremy and Rob (and news articles) describes the beta early development work starting in 1999. The oldest record I can find for the existence of the fastmail.fm domain was in December, 1999 (although there might have been an earlier registration). The oldest spider captures I can find on the Wayback Machine for the fastmail.fm website are August and October, 2000.

The fastmail.fm official service introduction (with paid customers) was on Feb 18, 2002. I didn't join until two years later.

Bill

muppetandchums 17 Dec 2014 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 579692)

I was a FastMail user when at Royal Holloway, London Uni. doing an InfosEc MSc in 1997/8.
I cannot recall if the account was free...think it was. I was cheap in those days.

muppetandchums 17 Dec 2014 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janusz (Post 579676)
May be that's the reason? The login page is now fastmail.com, not fastmail.fm.

Thank you.

My login has been on fastmail.co.uk since 1999; and probably earlier. Until yesterday my Outlook credentials ( @fastmail.co.uk) worked fine and I had Desktop access even tho' no web access.

Now I have NO web access ....& I have NO Outlook Access. .fm....com...co.uk all FUBAR.
Outlook now says wrong password on fastmail.co.uk.

Moreover, I have no means of communication with fastmail to regain a service for which I thought I was paying.

I want to scream.

David 17 Dec 2014 03:14 AM

You could check out this link.

n5bb 17 Dec 2014 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetandchums (Post 579828)
...My login has been on fastmail.co.uk since 1999; and probably earlier...

That's hard to believe, since Fastmail created access to that domain in February 2004. Perhaps you used fastmail.fm initially and later changed to the other domain. Since the Fastmail founders didn't start thinking about their email project until 1999 (recounted in various news articles), your email account in 1997 must have been with some other service.
Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetandchums (Post 579828)
...Moreover, I have no means of communication with fastmail to regain a service for which I thought I was paying. I want to scream.

There are several possibilities:
  • If the only problem is the change of the login domain to fastmail.com, read these instructions. That won't change your IMAP, POP, or SMTP logins (which use a server name which hasn't changed recently).
  • If you had a paid account, you either ignored the renewal messages and didn't pay again, or your account was locked for some other reason. You can go to http://www.fastmail.com, click the Help & Support button in the upper right, and click the first link (contact our support team).
  • If you had a grandfathered Member or Guest account (which are not longer offered to new signups) you probably didn't log in to the account recently. You can not reactivate an expired Member or Guest account and retrieve old messages, which were automatically deleted when the account expired. The inactivity period for these accounts is as follows:
    • Member: 120 days
    • Guest: 120 days
  • Here is more information about expired accounts:
    What happens if my subscription expires?
  • I want to emphasize that if you have a current paid Fastmail account (Lite, Full, Enhanced, Premier, or equivalent family/business level) you can get personal support. If you had an old grandfathered account with no yearly fee (Member or Guest), your account does not get personal support and will be dropped if you don't log in every 120 days. Fastmail no longer offers these old account types with no recurring fees.
Bill

bramhall 17 Dec 2014 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n5bb (Post 579831)
if you have a current paid Fastmail account (Lite, Full, Enhanced, Premier, or equivalent family/business level) you can get personal support

To open a support ticket you need to provide your password. If the password is the problem, you are stuck.

muppetandchums 17 Dec 2014 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n5bb (Post 579831)
That's hard to believe, since Fastmail created access to that domain in February 2004. Perhaps you used fastmail.fm initially and later changed to the other domain. Since the Fastmail founders didn't start thinking about their email project until 1999 (recounted in various news articles), your email account in 1997 must have been with some other service.There are several possibilities:
  • If the only problem is the change of the login domain to fastmail.com, read these instructions. That won't change your IMAP, POP, or SMTP logins (which use a server name which hasn't changed recently).
  • If you had a paid account, you either ignored the renewal messages and didn't pay again, or your account was locked for some other reason. You can go to http://www.fastmail.com, click the Help & Support button in the upper right, and click the first link (contact our support team).
  • If you had a grandfathered Member or Guest account (which are not longer offered to new signups) you probably didn't log in to the account recently. You can not reactivate an expired Member or Guest account and retrieve old messages, which were automatically deleted when the account expired. The inactivity period for these accounts is as follows:
    • Member: 120 days
    • Guest: 120 days
  • Here is more information about expired accounts:
    What happens if my subscription expires?
  • I want to emphasize that if you have a current paid Fastmail account (Lite, Full, Enhanced, Premier, or equivalent family/business level) you can get personal support. If you had an old grandfathered account with no yearly fee (Member or Guest), your account does not get personal support and will be dropped if you don't log in every 120 days. Fastmail no longer offers these old account types with no recurring fees.
Bill

Never used any .fm account
Fastmail domain was registered in 1994. Perhaps they thought about it before 1999 ? Perhaps I was .com before moving to .co.uk. Who cares ?
I am sure it was between 1996/9 as fastmail offered students academic pricing. That's why I signed up.

But you appear to be missing the point.
The account was working fine SMTP, IMAP via Outlook 2010 24 hours ago. But via fastmail.co.uk. Not .com.
Just nothing over the web.

Now nothing over the web....nothing via Outlook.

No account expiry.
No bug in LastPass changing passwords.

There is no backup mail account.

Perhaps it'd just be easier to shift the pointers to gmail. At least my low expectations would be fully met ?

n5bb 17 Dec 2014 05:42 AM

If you are talking about 1994, that is a different Fastmail. There used to be a different fastmail.com many years ago. This forum is about the Fastmail company which started in 1999/2000 at the domain fastmail.fm and which is based in Australia (with servers in New York City, NY, USA). Their login URL was http://www.fastmail.fm until October 2014, when it moved to http://www.fastmail.com as described here:
Fastmail moves to fastmail.com
  • In Outlook, what IMAP or POP server are you connecting to? If it is the Fastmail we are discussing here, it should be mail.messagingengine.com.
  • If you used to use web access, what URL did you login to?
Bill

n5bb 17 Dec 2014 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bramhall (Post 579837)
To open a support ticket you need to provide your password. If the password is the problem, you are stuck.

That's not true. See:
Lost username or password

But if the poster had an active account with some email company which set up in 1994 and an account before 1999, it's not with the same Fastmail described in this forum.

Bill

robn 17 Dec 2014 06:32 AM

FastMail has been in operation since 1999. The only other mail service I'm aware of that uses the "fastmail" name is fastmail.ca, but my understanding is that they started around 2000.

OP should log a support ticket. Password is not required.

https://www.fastmail.com/action/support/