EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   SMTP only login? (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=77399)

Edward Velo 23 Oct 2020 05:44 AM

SMTP only login?

Hi,

I have a Fastmail standard account.

I'm running a lot of small Linux applications that can send me an email at certain events via SMTP. However, I don't want to store my login name and password everywhere.

Is there a way to have an "SMTP only" login? So that this login can't be used to actually read my emails if it leaks out? Or should I sign up for an extra account?

Thanks!

placebo 23 Oct 2020 07:15 AM

Yes. You can set up an app password that allows only SMTP access.

Edward Velo 23 Oct 2020 05:40 PM

Thanks! That works indeed.

Just two small questions:

- it only works when I use my main Fastmail login name, is there a way to use one of my aliases?

- the "from" in received emails is always my main email adres, even though the app is using a specific "from" email address when contacting the SMTP server. Can this be changed?

Thanks.

JeremyNicoll 23 Oct 2020 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Velo (Post 617807)
- it only works when I use my main Fastmail login name, is there a way to use one of my aliases?

I don't know. But quite a lot of us try very hard never to expose our login names, never ever using it as a real email address, so if it turns out that you can nominate a specific alias for a restricted login, that would be a good thing.

The other thing is that if you ever think your login name has become known to anyone else, you can change it. See:

https://www.fastmail.com/help/accoun...eusername.html

pjroutledge 24 Oct 2020 06:07 AM

Quote:

- the "from" in received emails is always my main email adres, even though the app is using a specific "from" email address when contacting the SMTP server. Can this be changed?

Thanks.

I can get this to work by (1) having a matching 'Sending Identity' in Fastmail and (2) (under 'Advanced Preferences' at the bottom of the 'Preferences' screen) by deselecting the 'SMTP Identity' checkbox.
The text adjacent to the checkbox is
Quote:

Rewrite the “From” address on all emails I send through third party email clients to come from my default identity
)

You could also change your default identity and leave the checkbox selected, but then all of your 3rd party client emails would have the same 'From' email address.

placebo 24 Oct 2020 07:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks! That works indeed.

Hmm, that's weird. I don't see this behavior with my account. I set my client to use a different from address. The received email shows this address, and my main username doesn't appear anywhere in the headers.

Edward Velo 26 Oct 2020 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjroutledge (Post 617812)
I can get this to work by (1) having a matching 'Sending Identity' in Fastmail and (2) (under 'Advanced Preferences' at the bottom of the 'Preferences' screen) by deselecting the 'SMTP Identity' checkbox.

That's it! Thanks.

SideshowBob 27 Oct 2020 11:20 PM

I don't understand the need for "2". You can use an app password to send for any From address provided that there is a webmail identity for that address.

Be sure to use smtp.fastmail.com rather than mail.messagingengine.com.

Edward Velo 28 Oct 2020 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideshowBob (Post 617833)
I don't understand the need for "2". You can use an app password to send for any From address provided that there is a webmail identity for that address.

Without 2, you need to create identities for all the "from"s that you use. When using "2", each app can set its own "from", all using the same login and app password.

SideshowBob 28 Oct 2020 03:35 AM

You can create one wildcard identity per domain or sub-domain.

I still don't see the point of 2 because it causes the from address to be rewritten to a single fixed address. What's the point in sending from separate addresses and then having them all rewritten to the same one.

Edward Velo 28 Oct 2020 03:44 AM

We are deselecting that option. So they are not being rewritten to the same one.