EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Domain Mail (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=73871)

sheprd 9 Aug 2018 11:34 PM

Domain Mail

I pointed my Domain MX Records to Fast Mail. Now what is next step?

Thanks for any help

che 10 Aug 2018 03:07 AM

How about RTFM?

<https://www.fastmail.com/help/receive/domains.html>

<https://www.fastmail.com/help/receive/domains-setup-mxonly.html>

Please come back if you have a concrete question/issue.

sheprd 10 Aug 2018 03:58 AM

Thought I asked a concrete question. Well when or how will I know when my Domain mail has become active on my FM acct I set Domain mx records to FM yesterday

BritTim 10 Aug 2018 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheprd (Post 607351)
Thought I asked a concrete question. Well when or how will I know when my Domain mail has become active on my FM acct I set Domain mx records to FM yesterday

That depends on the TTL previously set on your MX records. In most cases, this is set to 24 hours or less. If the settings were made correctly, and you have created your domain as a custom domain in your FastMail account, I would expect emails to be arriving in your FastMail account now. The domain setup page in FastMail tells you if the MX settings for the domain are correct.

sheprd 10 Aug 2018 09:11 AM

Thank you very much Brit Tim you have helped me in the past

Jacinto 10 Aug 2018 06:34 PM

Hello, sheprd.

The quickest way to know the MX records propagated is to have a friend who is not a Fastmail subscriber send you a couple of test messages.

If you have an account with another provider, send them yourself.

Happy Friday.

--
Jacinto

sheprd 10 Aug 2018 09:34 PM

Thank you Jcento for a good suggestion I shall try it

Berenburger 10 Aug 2018 10:30 PM

Use MX Lookup Tool to check.

edu 11 Aug 2018 04:13 PM

If I remember well Fastmail itself has an option when you configure your emails and identities to check if they work with the domain you added.

FredOnline 11 Aug 2018 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edu (Post 607366)
If I remember well Fastmail itself has an option when you configure your emails and identities to check if they work with the domain you added.

If you look in Domains in FastMail, under each domain name it will give status:

Active. Nameservers set.
Active. MX records set.
Not yet active. Waiting for DNS change.

sheprd 13 Aug 2018 05:09 AM

How long should i it take for Domain records to Propogate? I changed my Domain records appromately 24 hours ago. and still waiting

soromak 13 Aug 2018 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheprd (Post 607383)
How long should i it take for Domain records to Propogate? I changed my Domain records appromately 24 hours ago. and still waiting

It all depends on the TTL value for your MX records. You can check them in your DNS panel.

sheprd 13 Aug 2018 07:34 AM

Thanks soromak and FredOnline I will check these

n5bb 13 Aug 2018 08:08 AM

DNS and NS propagation after a change

First you need to look at your current published DNS records. Use MXToolbox.com or DNSstuff.com to look up your existing MX records. If you made a change to your MX records, they will propagate only after the previous TTL settings for that record time out. So what matters is the old TTL in your DNS records before the change.

Here are more details:
  • Domain records are cached. There is an upstream cache which is is queried when the TTL (Time To Live) value in the local cache times out. The TTL is specified in seconds in the raw database, so TTL=60 is one minute, TTL=3600 is one hour, and TTL=86400 is one day.
  • If the cached MX entry has timed out, an upstream provider is queried. Eventually the MX entry will time out at all levels and the authoritative DNS records will be queried.
  • Your DNS records (A records for websites, MX records for incoming mail, etc.) are located at a host specified by the NS record for your domain. You can point your domain NS records to Fastmail and host your DNS there. I do this, and find that the Fastmail hosting works very well. Fastmail automatically sets up DKIM and other features in your DNS records if they host your records. There is no cost for this service.
  • The new MX records will have their own TTL settings specifying how long that data should be cached.
  • Some systems ignore the TTL values and cache MX records for a longer interval. There is nothing we can do about that.
The best way to change your DNS records (MX, A, etc.) is:
  • If you are moving the DNS hosting to another host (such as Fastmail), write down your old NS TTL then change the NS TTL to a small temporary value (such as 60 seconds, which is 1 minute).
  • At the host you will use after the changes, examine and write down your old DNS entries (A, MX, etc.), including the TTL values. If you need to change your MX pointer, change your MX TTL to a small value (such as 60 seconds).
  • You then need to wait for the original TTL value to expire. In some cases, your TTL could have been set to greater than one day (greater than 86,400). You can’t assume that email will arrive at Fastmail until the old TTL expires and the caches are refreshed with the new MX entries.
  • The reason for the temporary short TTL setting is so you can fix any errors and test the fixes rapidly. You can then set your TTL values to a reasonable long-term value (such as 3600 seconds, which is one hour). The reason to use this larger value for normal operation is to prevent excessive DNS host queries and also to make DNS attacks more unlikely.
Bill

sheprd 14 Aug 2018 05:59 AM

Thanks n5bb. I go to my Domain on FM and see Active mx records set
Also my TTL is set for one hour I have been at his for a couple days or more I remember trying to host my email with FM a few years ago but never could get it to work. I am probably doing something wrong