EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Pobox.com reviewed (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=76155)

Berenburger 18 Mar 2020 06:55 AM

Pobox.com reviewed

]A nice description of Pobox.com (subsidiary of Fastmail) on HostingAdvice.com

Quote:

Trying to decide between Pobox and Fastmail? Both Fastmail and Pobox charge minimal fees (Pobox charges slightly more) to provide better technology and attentive customer support while preventing advertisers from accessing personal information.

Helen told us that ultimately, Pobox is focused on the creation and management of aliases, whereas consumers in nearly any other category would be a good fit for Fastmail.

“Pobox is ideal for consumers who want the Fastmail experience with the ease of creating a lot more aliases,” she said. “That’s possible with Fastmail, but it’s not front and center.”

TenFour 18 Mar 2020 09:09 PM

Not sure you can say "POBox charges slightly more." POBox has three basic levels: $20, $35, and $50. Fastmail has three basic levels: $30, $50, and $90 per year. At the $50 level POBox offers 50GB of storage vs. 25GB for Fastmail.

FredOnline 18 Mar 2020 11:37 PM

The moral of the story is you'll get a better and more accurate review on EMD! :)

Berenburger 19 Mar 2020 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredOnline (Post 614730)
The moral of the story is you'll get a better and more accurate review on EMD! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenFour (Post 614729)
Not sure you can say "POBox charges slightly more." POBox has three basic levels: $20, $35, and $50. Fastmail has three basic levels: $30, $50, and $90 per year. At the $50 level POBox offers 50GB of storage vs. 25GB for Fastmail.

Therefore, it's resp. 50 GB and 30 GB.

odedp 22 Mar 2020 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berenburger (Post 614731)
Therefore, it's resp. 50 GB and 30 GB.

That's exactly why I've closed my Fastmail (enhanced) account and upgraded my POBox Basic account to Mailstore!
I need a lot of storage! ;)

TenFour 22 Mar 2020 08:38 PM

Quote:

I need a lot of storage!
That's one reason this is a great time to clean up old email accounts, sweep away all those old promotional emails and reminders to pay your credit card on time, and delete most stuff more than a few years old. Frankly, I'm beginning to wonder if it might be worth it to automatically delete all emails older than say two or three years. Yes, once in a great while I do search for something really old, which is easy to do with Gmail, but not all that often. Maybe download an archive of everything to keep locally just in case you have a need to search for an ancient email.

odedp 22 Mar 2020 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenFour (Post 614776)
That's one reason this is a great time to clean up old email accounts, sweep away all those old promotional emails and reminders to pay your credit card on time, and delete most stuff more than a few years old.

All emails like these go to trash and are deleted automatically after 30 days!
Every single email I keep, including the (very) old ones is important for me and should not be deleted.
I do a lot of searches which work quickly and yield precise results :)

TenFour 22 Mar 2020 09:39 PM

Quote:

Every single email I keep, including the (very) old ones is important for me and should not be deleted.
Unlike most of us! The problem I find is that many things I save or archive might be useful for say a year or two, but it is impossible to know for how long; therefore, I archive many things that I might need later at some point off in the future, but in reality probably not. As long as you have the space there is no real harm, but imagine the volume of storage all around the world that is basically just trash being stored "just in case."

Berenburger 23 Mar 2020 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odedp (Post 614777)
All emails like these go to trash and are deleted automatically after 30 days!
I do a lot of searches which work quickly and yield precise results :)

Me too, but for 'safety' my Trash is set at 1 year. My oldest archived email is from 1997. But despite that I only use 2,8 GB of my 54 GB at Pobox.

JamesHenderson 23 Mar 2020 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berenburger (Post 614779)
Me too, but for 'safety' my Trash is set at 1 year. My oldest archived email is from 1997. But despite that I only use 2,8 GB of my 54 GB at Pobox.

Similar(ish) here.

Trash set to 1 year.
Oldest email 2002
mailbox: 6.4GB of 30GB (there are a few attachments in there).

odedp 23 Mar 2020 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berenburger (Post 614779)
But despite that I only use 2,8 GB of my 54 GB at Pobox.

As far as I know POBox Mailstore has 50 GB.
How come you have 54? :)

Berenburger 23 Mar 2020 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odedp (Post 614801)
As far as I know POBox Mailstore has 50 GB.
How come you have 54? :)

It's what my app says: https://user.fm/files/v2-4b7bc6886d1...512a/Quota.png
Rounding difference?

odedp 23 Mar 2020 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berenburger (Post 614802)
It's what my app says: https://user.fm/files/v2-4b7bc6886d1...512a/Quota.png
Rounding difference?

Good for you :):D

JamesHenderson 23 Mar 2020 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berenburger (Post 614802)
Rounding difference?

maybe you got extra space for recommending other users?

odedp 23 Mar 2020 09:45 PM

Me too

Quote:

Originally Posted by odedp (Post 614803)
Good for you :):D

I've just seen that I have 54 GB too!!
Maybe it has changed recently.