EmailDiscussions.com

EmailDiscussions.com (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/index.php)
-   FastMail Forum (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Recover deleted Notes? (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=57601)

beq 26 Sep 2009 09:28 AM

Recover deleted Notes?

I was told by FM support that they cannot recover accidentally deleted Notes (unlike Mail or Files).

I thought I remember reading a previous thread where someone else was able to recover a deleted note via some method.. am I mistaken?

Terry 27 Sep 2009 07:01 PM

I lost some very important info I had stored in mine and I often hit the wrong button I wish it would have a bin attached or move it to your in box....or a note asking do you want to delete....:mad:

kurianja 28 Sep 2009 07:55 PM

We should be able to recover the notes if it is not too old. Can you PM me your username. I'll just doublecheck.

Its likely my fault. I probably missed telling someone about the feature. I'll make sure I let them know.

beq 29 Sep 2009 07:36 AM

Thanks kurianja.

FYI I was accessing the FastMail Notepad from the iPhone Safari web browser. There seems to be a GUI layout problem (affecting both regular and /beta/ server) whereby the "Save Note" and "Delete Notes" buttons that are normally on the top row are moved nearly off-screen to the left, so that only a small sliver of the buttons are visible. Well, I accidentally tapped on one of those slivers, and it deleted the current note...

kurianja 29 Sep 2009 12:02 PM

Okay, restored. I've also let everyone know that we can restore deleted notes.

I don't see any GUI layout problems on the Notepad screen on Firefox or Opera, both on Linux, so it should be specific to the iPhone edition. I'll let Neil know.

kurianja 29 Sep 2009 12:13 PM

Terry, I just searched for you deleted note, but I am afraid its too late now. We don't have a backup now. Sorry. :(

If you happen to accidentally delete notes/emails/files, please contact support asap. They should be able to recover them if you get in touch within our backup window(7 days).

neilj 29 Sep 2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beq (Post 487982)
Thanks kurianja.

FYI I was accessing the FastMail Notepad from the iPhone Safari web browser. There seems to be a GUI layout problem (affecting both regular and /beta/ server) whereby the "Save Note" and "Delete Notes" buttons that are normally on the top row are moved nearly off-screen to the left, so that only a small sliver of the buttons are visible. Well, I accidentally tapped on one of those slivers, and it deleted the current note...

I'm afraid I can't reproduce this bug. Have you updated to the latest iPhone software (v3.1)? Here's what I see on both the production and beta server: http://mockups.neilj.fastmail.fm/screenshots/photo.jpg

Cheers,

Neil

beq 30 Sep 2009 07:00 AM

Sorry neilj and kurianja, this might be my fault from having some JS/CSS FastMail tweaks (such as to add extra links to the top header of the screen, move 'Create New Note' button towards top of page, squeeze top header row to one line instead of two, etc).

Here is how my account's Notepad looks on my iPhone v3.1.

What's more worrying than the clipped buttons is that I can't seem to scroll down on the note content area when I load a longer note which spans beyond the height of the text box. Could this also be a side effect of one of my JS/CSS tweaks?

neilj 30 Sep 2009 09:22 AM

Ah yes; I'm afraid we can't really do much about your CSS/JS tweaks; use at your own risk! Your other problem though I do see, but unfortunately this appears to be an issue with the iPhone Safari browser: if you have more content than will fit into a text area it refuses to scroll it nicely even if you tell it to. The only way to scroll is to select it (so the keyboard appears) then drag the 'cursor' to the bottom of the note.

A better solution for this would be for us to resize the textarea as you type like we do on the desktop interface; that way you'll never need to scroll. This is quite resource intensive though and I'm afraid I currently have other things with higher priority to deal with. I'll keep the problem in the back of my mind though for when I finally get back to the mobile interface.

Cheers,

Neil

Random832 30 Mar 2016 12:06 AM

I recently did a backup recovery (I'd accidentally lost most of my Sent Items in the process of moving a bunch of stuff to offline folders), and Notes appeared alongside all the other folders in the RESTORED hierarchy. I'm guessing the information that notes couldn't be restored dates back from before the IMAP Notes stuff.

I don't think there's a UI to copy them directly into the notes folder, though, but you can get the text that way and copy/paste by hand or maybe copy as messages into another folder. I didn't really look into it because the notes weren't my concern, and my restored stuff is gone today.

Katerpper 14 Mar 2017 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random832 (Post 592870)
I recently did a deleted files recovery (I'd accidentally lost most of my Sent Items in the process of moving a bunch of stuff to offline folders), and Notes appeared alongside all the other folders in the RESTORED hierarchy. I'm guessing the information that notes couldn't be restored dates back from before the IMAP Notes stuff.

I don't think there's a UI to copy them directly into the notes folder, though, but you can get the text that way and copy/paste by hand or maybe copy as messages into another folder. I didn't really look into it because the notes weren't my concern, and my restored stuff is gone today.

As i can see , you use a backup recovery tool to restore lost data back, good ,
When the data lost from phone , the first thing we need to do is restore deleted files back as soon as possible

jhollington 14 Mar 2017 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random832 (Post 592870)
I recently did a backup recovery (I'd accidentally lost most of my Sent Items in the process of moving a bunch of stuff to offline folders), and Notes appeared alongside all the other folders in the RESTORED hierarchy. I'm guessing the information that notes couldn't be restored dates back from before the IMAP Notes stuff.

Yeah, this thread is of course about eight years old. Notes were migrated into IMAP so they'd be a more compatible for things like the iOS and macOS Notes applications, which basically just sync to an IMAP folder.

Quote:

I don't think there's a UI to copy them directly into the notes folder, though, but you can get the text that way and copy/paste by hand or maybe copy as messages into another folder.
None that I've found in the web interface, simply because the "Notes" IMAP folder isn't exposed by the web UI. You could theoretically do this if you were using an IMAP client, as the restored hierarchy will display via IMAP, and with the notable exception of Apple Mail (which also hides the "Notes" folder), it should appear like any other IMAP folder and allow you to drag-and-drop into it.